Cobra Trac-lok

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
I recently installed the Ford Cobra Trac-lok (they are a bit over 200 for an assembled carrier with carbon fiber discs). Could be an alternative if your trac-lok is worn out, the carbon fiber discs are over 100 alone, and you just swap the ring gear. Since its Ford you are going be be in the backlash range when you put it back. It is also a much beefier unit.

I turned off 4x4 and drove in the snow, very impressive (I have true 2wd on the 96). Only steeper hills caused issues. I had an open in the past and 2wd was nearly useless. I've also been stuck because of the two open diffs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had this on my list for the last year but never looked into getting the entire carrier...

Yea i dont see the need for gears and all that if you have the correct gears for your tires and a LS..

Ive done the carbon fiber clutches in my LS and they are great,that i will say..they are very very tight and grab very well..no way your fit an extra disc if you were even thinking about it and nor do yo need it..anyone that has a old ls unit id suggest getting them,great great upgrade for sure

Adding the carbon fiber clutches is on my list too. I remember back in my autocross days the hot setup was to stack the pack with metal-fiber-metal-fiber all the way across the pack. Seems like I saw the Cobra pack setup with two metals together, is that true?

I have to say this is one of the best things I ever put in my truck
Yea i dont see the need for gears and all that if you have the correct gears for your tires and a LS..

Ive done the carbon fiber clutches in my LS and they are great,that i will say..they are very very tight and grab very well..no way your fit an extra disc if you were even thinking about it and nor do yo need it..anyone that has a old ls unit id suggest getting them,great great upgrade for sure

Yes, after driving on steep mountain roads with snow I am very impressed.
Sure worth the money, and I got to change out brakes, bearing, seals, etc. Probably last another 20 years :lol:

The whole carrier cost less than a brake and rotor job in a shop.

The open never felt right in situations like that, even with 4x4. I also have the LTX michelin all seasons, not snows. We also drove in a newer suv with all the electronic toys without LS and it wasn't as planted (4x4 low really helps in some situations, like very step driveways).

I had LS in other cars without carbon fiber and it was ok but nothing like this. That S spring is also very stiff and locks the wheels when you first start out. I have 4.10s. Only thing is not to accelerate into slippery turns, just take it easy. Probably a good idea for any car. I read about the abuse the mustang guys give that LS, should last a very long time if it isn't raced.

I have to say this is one of the best things I ever put in my truck

Yes, after driving on steep mountain roads with snow I am very impressed.
Sure worth the money, and I got to change out brakes, bearing, seals, etc. Probably last another 20 years :lol:

The whole carrier cost less than a brake and rotor job in a shop.

The open never felt right in situations like that, even with 4x4. I also have the LTX michelin all seasons, not snows. We also drove in a newer suv with all the electronic toys without LS and it wasn't as planted (4x4 low really helps in some situations, like very step driveways).

I had LS in other cars without carbon fiber and it was ok but nothing like this. That S spring is also very stiff and locks the wheels when you first start out. I have 4.10s. Only thing is not to accelerate into slippery turns, just take it easy. Probably a good idea for any car. I read about the abuse the mustang guys give that LS, should last a very long time if it isn't raced.
My ranger is basically a street race truck..it has line locks and i do burnouts pretty often to warm the tires up,its held up great so far for me going on about 3 years

Back