Traction-Lok or conventional rear axles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Traction-Lok or conventional rear axles

Luis696

Reaction score
City, State
London
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998
attempting to replace rear diff cover, how can I determine if my axle is with or without Traction-Lock, and therefore if it needs a friction modifier?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you use a good quality 75w140 for Limited slip diff then you should get away without using the friction modifier. If you use the ford 75w140 i would suggest using the fm.

thanks a lot, nevertheless is it possible to determine type of an axle?

If you have the cover off you should see the clutch pack. However look at the axle tag. If it says 373L then you have the LS diff. Everyone of the UK explorers that I have seen have a 373L diff.

attempting to replace rear diff cover, how can I determine if my axle is with or without Traction-Lock, and therefore if it needs a friction modifier?
If you see an "S" spring, then you have a Limited Slip differential.

The cluch pack mentioned by Howard is boxed in red.
lsd.jpg

However look at the axle tag. If it says 373L then you have the LS diff.

where can I find axle tag, is it on an axle itself?

Thanks a lot. Will be doing one on Saturday. Anything I shall know before doing one? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

my tip of the day:

once the oil is drained, don't forget to get the pool of oil out from under the crown wheel.

There is a metal rib that runs across the bottom in line with the rear cover, oil and crap collect there.

Jim

done it, just wanted to check something, my Service Information from ford, say I shall fill diff with 5 pints (2.4l) of oil, I did, but the oil didn’t come out through filing hole, is that ok, or shall I top it up? my friend was laughing at me suggesting my diff has swollen up

is that a imperial pint or American? maybe it say that in liters?

thx, will top it up today :)

Back