Trading my X for a Mountaineer!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trading my X for a Mountaineer!!

I pulled 19 driving both up north and back (hills) pulling my boat.

IMG_0506.jpg

It's a full treated wood custom interior in the boat, the thing is a heavy pig. It barely planes with that 15hp motor, so there is some good weight there. The Ex pulled it well. I haven't driven it up north yet empty with no trailer, but I fully expect over 20 with it. I am running all new O2's, new plugs, wires, and about 90 coats of wax... :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joe Dirt: I will try removing the pan and putting new fluid but i'm not too sure what good that'll do because the transmission by the bottom is painted silver as if someone messed with it, rebuilt it or just made it look new for a reason. it's not like a factory transmission that people run 100k with the original oil and a oil change will give it a new life. This tranny has new oil from what i can see in the dip stick, and what it's doing is like if something was installed wrong, it doesn't slip, it just doesn't engage into o/d and then all of a sudden it does.

Oh, about the mpg's, yeah i'm sure the 5.0 will do good, either way i filled up both, the X and the mountaineer and reseted the trip miles, let's see!!! LoL!! I'm driving them both the same, i use one the whole day and the other the next, till gas runs out!

I pulled 19 driving both up north and back (hills) pulling my boat.

IMG_0506.jpg

It's a full treated wood custom interior in the boat, the thing is a heavy pig. It barely planes with that 15hp motor, so there is some good weight there. The Ex pulled it well. I haven't driven it up north yet empty with no trailer, but I fully expect over 20 with it. I am running all new O2's, new plugs, wires, and about 90 coats of wax... :thumbsup:

Nice truck...what kind of tires are you running on there?

Mine was shifting hard into O/D about 40 mph under soft acceleration too. I swapped out the fluid and added a secondary external filter up by the cooler, and it is a lot smoother now. I can still feel it a little bit, but the big clunk sound and feeling like I just got rear ended is gone.

My mpg is in the high 12's in town with 31 inch tires and a lift. Which is still better then my 93 got with the same tires and a v6.

Joe Dirt: I will try removing the pan and putting new fluid but i'm not too sure what good that'll do because the transmission by the bottom is painted silver as if someone messed with it, rebuilt it or just made it look new for a reason. it's not like a factory transmission that people run 100k with the original oil and a oil change will give it a new life. This tranny has new oil from what i can see in the dip stick, and what it's doing is like if something was installed wrong, it doesn't slip, it just doesn't engage into o/d and then all of a sudden it does.

They could have just painted it, or maybe it has been serviced. I guess I've just seen a lot of ill running trans' run a lot better with a fluid change...

Nice truck...what kind of tires are you running on there?

Plain 'ol BF Goodrich Long Trail- 255 70 16's

update: changed the trans fluid and did'nt fix the problem, still doing the same thing. I've decide to go with a used unit from the salvage yard, he'll sell me the 2wd 4r70w for $300 like i mentioned earlier or a awd 4r70w with t/c, front/rear drive shafts and complete front differential for $750!! This second option is very tempting!!

Joe Dirt: is your X awd?

Hey dude I think you still got a deal on that truck. I let one go like that for 4000 and It had 126,000 on the clock. Ended up getting a 2000 in immaculate condition with 82000 on it. Garage kept everything perfect. v8 awd loaded. Only thing is I paid a whopping 7500 for it from a dealer. And indivdual sale would probably have been about 5500 to 6500. I think I really paid too much even though the conditon is extra clean. I like the green color and the sixteens. Later:cool:

And just to add about the gas mileage as was stated earlier the v-6 is not that much better that the v-8 mileage. much better too have the extra power and sacrifice a couple of miles per gallon. My son has a 96 sport with v6 and I get better mileage than he does. Drove to Daytona beach and averaged 21 mpg with air running and loaded up with luggage. I wouldn't sweat the mileage after you get the transmission issue resolved.:cool:

yea, the mountaineer is getting to 1/2 tank and it's done 150 miles already!! The x is about the same..
i'm going to pick up a tranny from the salvage yard this monday, i'm really leaning toward buying the awd tranny with the rest of the parts to go awd! i'm thinking if i don't do it now i never will.. What you guys think??

Back