sell the sport for a mountaineer?

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
What do you guys think. i have a 97 sport. sohc with 115k. never had any drive train work. I've fixed all the rust, its lifted, new tires and skid plates too. Im considering a 99 mounty with 80k. V8 awd. Owner said it has small rust spots. new tires and recent inspection. He wants 3500. Is it worth my time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you wheel, no. 2 doors is lighter and more maneuverable, you also have 4low already. You'd have to do the transfer case swap on the mounty.
You'll want to instal the skid plates, and lift the mounty to. Plus fix the rust. Besides I get the feeling the mounty's new tires aren't offroad oriented nor larger than stock.

I don't think I've ever even used my low range. I don't do that rough of wheeling. id probably swap my plates and tires. good points though. i'm just itching for something new and i know a tranny issue is coming up on mine.

In my opinion, no. I like what you've done with your truck and the direction you were heading. Sure, the V8 is nice, but you've done a lot of stuff to your truck too. I understand what you're saying about potential problems coming up, but there's no guarantee the new truck would be any different. Miles don't mean squat; problems come up whenever and wherever. It's a car, its gonna have some problems and you should know by now that these trucks are pretty bulletproof, but they do require some money every so often. Plus, I think Sports are 5x cooler just by themselves. I hate to sound all cliche and stuff, but it all comes down to what you want and how attached you are to your truck. Sure the ad says everything's great, but every new car comes with its own can of worms, so to say.

He got back to me, he is going to send pics of 2 rust spots near the wheel well...

Varsity, Thank you. I do agree mileage isnt everything but its still something to consider. I love my explorer but I'm just kind of itching for something new. I may not jump on this but who knows. Sometimes having 2 doors is annoying, but it is more unique and stands out, idk. I would swap several of the parts from my sport over to the mounty and lift it, much the same path i'm on now. Just a d.d with occasional mud/dirt duty.

Mine is solid now besides a faint timing chain rattle, torque converter/trans issues intermittently and rust starting on the quarter panel (which i fear most). My girlfriend has a 98 v8 mounty, it has 140k but its solid as could be.

Well, the pics show rust sores/flaking metal/hole on the rear fender lips up onto the body. I want to get away from my rust issues... no luck with this one.

This thing is still floating out there....
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/3534338183.html

I've been semi actively pursuing another vehicle as the condition of mine continues to plague me (1000 bucks in past 3 months including 450 for tires)

Here is the pics of the rust on it. Mine needs the quarter panel replaced to fix the rust issue that is creeping into the gar door opening...

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 187

Yikes! Looks like you dodged a bullet there... Best of luck in your searches. Its better to be looking now and have some options open instead of having something go kapoot on the truck and need a new one by the end of the weekend.

I remember he said that was the only rust, chances are the rockers are toasty too though...

That is my thinking. I hate rust. Everything here has it. Some is there like that mounty, some have it on the rockers and others on the quarter panels...

I'd like to stick with an explorer/mounty or ranger but Idk if I want another SOHC.

Wouldn't mind jumping to an f150/f250 or..... even a silverado (not sure if i could do that or not)

run away...

I've probably looked at a dozen or more cars between looking when I bought this car, to trying to find cars to flip.

I've only ever bought the one I have now. I've run away from each other one.

Realistically, since I'm still part timing, I should wait until next year (hopefully will be full time) before committing to a new(er) vehicle. Until then I think i'll try my hand at rebuilding my neighbor's old dual sport kawasaki to keep me busy...

Vince- suck it up and look down south. :)

A one-way plane ticket down to AZ/SoCal/TX/NM or even CO, plus some gas money to drive it back will probably be well worth it if you're looking for something rust-free.

Even just south in Maryland makes a difference. My parents came from eastern Maryland. Rust free and clean.

I ended up buying the intake gaskets and such to try and get mine running right. Hopefully the torque converter holds out, its failing too.

I plan to move next year to find a job and will buy something then i guess. Probably Maryland, VA, North or South Carolina. Job market is much better there then here in Southwest PA. I had a few interviews. Thought they went well but no such luck. It's probably because I don't "know somebody"

Back