Trailer Brake Controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Brake Controller

PackerBacker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer
Hi all,
I have an '08 V8 AWD with tow package (has factory 7-pin connector). Any suggestions on which trailer brake controller to buy? Any installation tips? My understanding is the aftermarket products will simply plug into a factory connector near the e-brake?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been using one that I had on my 3 previous trucks. It was a cheap $ 50 online special. I towed trailers from 1,000 to probably 6,000 lbs with my 06 v8, and this thing still works just fine.

Probably anything over $100 should be fine.

You need to find the original 4 wire pig tail connector that came with the car and connect it with the 4 wires on the controller. Then just plug it in under the dash.

Not sure if the factory wiring has a reserved lead for the hot 12V brake power that goes to the 7 way plug from the controller. Also the power to it need to be dedicated source as well. Thats the hardest part. Mounting should be easy. Better ones don't need a lot of setup/leveling etc

It was 10 years ago, but I do not recall running any additional wires. Just connect the controller and check the fuses are in place. My trailers I towed had electric brakes and they worked right away.

Really easy then.

A controller is not need for what I tow anymore. Not very long distance normally and maybe 2000lbs even if a little more its not a big deal here. Being able to stop having sufficient braking power is key however. But you have to adjust your driving habits a slow down and brake early as well. The trailer will push you.

I use a Tekonsha P3 (came with Explorer/Mountaineer harness). It works great. With my 07 Mountaineer with tow package, it was just plug and play.

Back