Installing trailer brake controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing trailer brake controller

Hi, I am installing a trailer brake controller (Draw-tite) and I need to tap into the brake light wire on the brake switch behind the pedal. Problem there are 4 or 5 wires on that switch, anyone know which one is the brake light wire? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My truck came with a wiring harness to plug in for a controller. Maybe the 2001 has a coupler under the dash as well?

The first thing I checked for was a factory installed connection.. my Sport Trac didn't came with the towing package so it isn't there. I will have to test the wires I guess, thanks

My truck came with a wiring harness to plug in for a controller. Maybe the 2001 has a coupler under the dash as well?

Were'd you find the connection point? I assume that since I've got a factory connector under the bumper, that I've got a connection point under the dash for the brake controller.

My '06 (4th gen) has the connector near the park brake release lever.
I understand that the '02-'05 (3rd gen) had the connector under/behind the glove box on the passenger side (wierd!).

My '06 (4th gen) has the connector near the park brake release lever.
I understand that the '02-'05 (3rd gen) had the connector under/behind the glove box on the passenger side (wierd!).

Thanks for the information! Now I've got a good place to start as far as wiring! :)

Back