Trailer Light Problem - 2013 XLT with Factory Towing Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Light Problem - 2013 XLT with Factory Towing Package

JPetrick

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Callsign
2013 Explorer XLT
2013 XLT with factory towing package. No right or left turn or brake lights, only running lights, to both (7 pin and 4 pin) connectors. Fuses in the driver's compartment and in the power distribution panel under the hood are good. Have not tackled the vehicle side of the big wiring harness connector next the muffler on the driver's side yet. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the 5th generation side of the Forum John.:wave:
Sorry, no idea on what the issue might be. I was going to suggest checking the fuses because I thought there were specific ones for trailer lights.
Do you still have the 2000 XLT? If so, it would be a good idea to add the 2013 XLT to a signature so members know that you have it as well.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks. No longer have the 2000 and tried to change the profile to show the 2013 but was not successful. Will try harder.

Have you tried scanning for error codes? Sounds like the BCM (Body Control Module) can disable brake/turn signals. From the 2014 shop manual:

Trailer Stop-Turn Lamps

The BJB supplies voltage at all times to the trailer tow stop/turn lamp relays. The BCM provides voltage to the trailer tow stop/turn lamp relay coils to correspond with the rear stop/turn lamp functions of the vehicle.

The BCM also provides an overload protection of the trailer tow stop/turn relay coil output circuits. When an excessive current draw is detected, the BCM disables the affected trailer tow stop/turn relay coil circuit driver.

Have you checked the trailer ground? Every time I have problems with trailer lights it always comes back to a bad ground on the trailer.

Problem SOLVED. Emailed support at etrailer.com. They had a technician call me. Guy really knew what he was talking about. He told me about a fuse I did not know about which, as it turned out, had blown. The culprit was fuse #63 in the power distribution box under the hood. It's title is "TT stop/turn lamps." I had been focusing on fuses #13 and #14 in the passenger compartment fuse panel. They are labeled "Right turn lamps, Right trailer tow turn / stop lamps" and "Left turn lamps, Left trailer tow turn / stop lamps" respectively. Now the next problem will be to determine what caused the fuse to blow. Most likely a short of some kind in the trailer wiring.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Problem SOLVED. Emailed support at etrailer.com. They had a technician call me. Guy really knew what he was talking about. He told me about a fuse I did not know about which, as it turned out, had blown. The culprit was fuse #63 in the power distribution box under the hood. It's title is "TT stop/turn lamps." I had been focusing on fuses #13 and #14 in the passenger compartment fuse panel. They are labeled "Right turn lamps, Right trailer tow turn / stop lamps" and "Left turn lamps, Left trailer tow turn / stop lamps" respectively. Now the next problem will be to determine what caused the fuse to blow. Most likely a short of some kind in the trailer wiring.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
I have a 2012 Ford Explorer with factory towing package and this was exactly my same problem. Thank you so much for providing this info!!

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer with factory towing package and this was exactly my same problem. Thank you so much for providing this info!!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Happy Canada Day!:party:

Peter

Back