• Register Today It's free!

Trailer towing ??

upei93

Reaction score
City, State
Dalhousie, New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
This spring I got a good deal on a mint 2002 4x4 Eddie Baurer Explorer with the 4.6 with the intention of hauling a travel trailer with it. When doing my research I thought I would be safe to haul 7300 pounds but I guess I didn't read the fine print because I now relize I don't have the towing package and can only haul 3500 pounds. I know I need the 3.73 rear end, a transmission cooler, heat gauge and a new hitch, is there anything else I should look at?? The RV I'm looking at is about 4500 pounds and 26 feet long, will my explorer be able to haul this with the up grades or should I forget the whole idea.

Thanks!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found the towing section...I have some reading to do.

My ex with the towning package has the trans cooler as well as what appears to a power steering cooler also.

I am going to check my manual, but you have to be higher than that. Even without the factory towing package.

If 4500 lbs is the GVWR (NOT the dry weight), then I think you will be fine without upgrading the rear end. Just get a Class III/IV hitch and trans cooler. Your actual combined weight likely would exceed 10,000 lbs by much. This also has the benefit of giving you better gas mileage for the 90% of the time that you won't be towing the trailer.

If you get the trailer, and find that the transmission is hunting a lot, and you just don't feel comfortable, then you can always change the axle later. But that's gotta be expensive.

26 feet is pretty long for a Travel trailer behind the Explorer with it's 114" wheel base. The tail will likely wag the dog, and it will be a very uncomfortable tow.

I tow a 21 foot travel trailer and wouldn't go ANY longer.

absolutely not. You do not tow that kind of trailer with an explorer. ESPECIALLY a 2002.

You need a truck for that kind of trailer and weight.

Yeah even if you had the torque (gear ratio, engine, etc..), the vehicle does not have the physical attributes (length, weight, tires, etc..) for that load. You wont be able to control the vehicle with a good gust of wind on the highway.

Back