Trailer wiring problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer wiring problem

Install my new hitch & trailer light T connector. I tested the lights with the trailer & they are doing some strange things. The lights turn on, but turn off when I hit the brake, & the turn signals flash both trailer lights.
The trailer lights work fine on another tow truck. It's the standard flat connector.
Has anyone had this happen?

I suspect it might be my rear wig wag flasher screwing it up, but I'm not sure yet. Have to test things. I don't see how however since it's only inline with the rear lights, & the rear lights work normal with the flasher as is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ground wire? What ground wire? The ground wires to the battery are fine. I have no electrical problems.

gotcha

MountaineerGreen

Thanks! I just got around to figuring this out today. The harness on the trailer didn't have the ground wire connected. Connected it to a bolt on the trailer & the lights work fine.

How did you wire this up exactly? The Explorer has 2 seperate wires for turn and stop lights yet the harness only offers one wire for the connection. I'm in the process of trying to wire up the 4 wire harness myself.

Back