Tranny and hoses flying off when trying to start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny and hoses flying off when trying to start

skittles

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport '94
Hi all,

I have a 94 Explorer Sport 98,800 miles.

THE HOSES:
Some times when I try to start my Explorer, just short of starting you can hear a slight pop followed by the sound of air releasing, and some white smoke from the drivers side of the hood. Needless to say the first time this happend it startled me and I DID NOT continue running the car.

We found out that some of the hoses (vacuums?) were/are popping off. And if I open the hood and replace the parts (hoses) that have dislodged all is fine. It starts and runs with no problems. If I don't do this it idles rough and within a minute the check engine light comes on. Here is where you can view a picture of the hoses I am speaking of http://woodstock.uplink.net/~skittles/engine.jpg (sorry for the quality).

The hoses are being pushed off by the air and are oily (greasy) so they slip off and on easily. I don't know what these hoses do or anything like that. I am going to the Ford dealership in town to have them look at them and replace if needed. I know I could replace them myself but I need to know if this is an underlining problem with something else, the tranny mainly, because I am also having problems with that.

THE TRANNY:
I am loosing tranny fluid with no VISIBLE signs of leaking. No puddles or anything. I have had to put about 4 quarts of tranny fluid in since the beginning of summer. I am taking the Explorer in very early tomorrow morning to have them look at the hose thing, and taking it in to Aamco (only tranny place in town) next week for the tranny problem.

Do any of these symptons sound familar to anyone? I need help. I don't have lots of money to be spending right now, and if this can be fixed at home with little money out put that would be great. If not I will have to work done at either place and survive.

Thanks for any input from anyone.
*smiles*
skittles

------------------
I'm just a girlie girl who *smiles* and *giggles* alot... *smiles*

[This message has been edited by skittles (edited 12-08-1999).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a boo at the link to this site, The Explorer Maintenance. And scroll down to the "IF YOU LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE" article. It's near the bottom. Good luck.

Syder-1

------------------
doo doo happens

The hoses are popping off, is a common problem on the A4LD (automatic) transmission, which I am assuming your having, I dont know all the details, I will try to find out tonight as my dad owns a transmission shop, but its happend on mine before and the solenoid pack had to be replaced in the transmission.

Jeff

Cool! Thanks Jeff, I'll take a look here later tonight.

It is an automatic tranny. What does A4LD stand for? It is a 4WD Automatic. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to get to the Ford dealership this morning.

Any information that you can give or areas to start looking in would be wonderful!

*smiles*
skittles

------------------

[This message has been edited by skittles (edited 12-09-1999).]

I was going to send you a schematic of the vacuum hose routing...no e-mail address.

Try using a q-tip inside the hoses to determine color of oily residue (reddish is tranny fluid...brownish/black is oil).

You may also want to unscrew the manifold vacuum tree (after hoses removed) and make sure it is not clogged, then put spring clamps on the hoses

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control.

96 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Two other cars that aren't Explorers

Oh if you can send the schematic my way. skittles@uplink.net. I'll add it to my signature too.

I'll check those hoses tonight with q-tips and see what happens.

Thanks
*smiles*
skittles

------------------
I'm just a girlie girl who *smiles* and *giggles* alot... *smiles* skittles@uplink.net

Syder-1,

I am going to assume you are talking about this Explorer Maintenance page at Dead Link Removed specifically this page, Dead Link Removed

I have been to this page too. BUT the only time there is white smoke is when the hoses get popped off. Other than that there is no white smoke or anything like that. It runs great with no smoke. However we will check this out too. But again there is only white smoke when the hoses are popped off.

Thanks
*smiles*
skittles

------------------

Hi all!

Just heard back from Aamco. They looked at it and made the sport do everything I said it was doing and are going to change the modulator valve and diaphram as well as the hose up top the engine that pop off everyonce in awhile. They are going to put new transmission fluid and filter in it as well. He said there was a slight oil leak too, but that is wasn't anything that most cars have. They said it was going to be about 115+tax. He said if they find anything unusual in the transmission pan he will call. I hope they don't find anything.

*nervously waiting*
skittles

------------------
I'm just a girlie girl who *smiles* and *giggles* alot... *smiles* skittles@uplink.net

Back