• Register Today It's free!

TRANNY COOLERS!!!!!

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
Ok... if anyone has read my latest whoops, you know I have tranny problems. Does anyone have tranny coolers on the transmissions for a OHV 4.0L??

I have a tranny shop that will install a HAYDEN 1679 tranny cooler. It is supposed to be for heavyduty vehicles like RV's etc, but he would get it into my X for $150 installed. Does anyone have any recomendations or advice?

Any another piece of advice. The trannies for the 95-96 4.0L were built in France, and not in the factory where I work. For some reason those trannies from France have had problems so it is 100% recomended that you add a cooler asap. I'm not sure if the earlier 4.0L were built in France or here in Livonia, MI so I can't help you out.

Hey,
is that $150 including the cooler itself? Also is it a stacked plate cooler or the type with the line that just goes back and forth through it? Mine is a B&M supercooler and it's a stacked plate cooler and is supposed to be the best with lowest pressure drop and maximum cooling. Jason just bought one from summitracing.com for like $50. If you want to install it yourself you could save $100, but I dunno if you want to. I will be helping jason install his this friday so I can let you know how tough it is. WHen we put it onmy truck my dad did most of it, but I'll see how it goes with jason's.
talk to you later
P.S.: I wonder why the 95 and 96 X didn't come with this extra cooler already added if they knew there was a potential heat issue......I mean I even have the full towing package and all it's got is the "in tank" cooler from factory...

Hey there fellow Michiganders.....I am looking to get one installed on mine also...please let me know what you find.

Also at the shop where i had my Amsoil installed the guy said that it was a great idea and he thought it was worth every penny I had to pay for the special oil. He said a friend had an F150 that was used at a dirt race track and in the summer it would be used to push or tow cars off the track and the auto tranny would get overheated often...oil boiling over and all...and the mechanic said all he did was replace the filter and do the full tranny flush and install this amsoil fluid and the truck never had the tranny overheat or boil over again. I know some think synthetic is a waste, but that testimonial and person experiance is enough for me...it's way cheaper to pay approx. $80 for 12 quarts of tranny fluid and the $60 or whatever they charge to do a full tranny flush then it is for a new tranny (as many of us have experianced).

Also michigander,
Are you getting a factory rebuild from france then? or do they rebuild them here in MI?

Good luck to all...if anyone needs more info on the tranny cooler or the oil, e-mail me

Back