Tranny Fluid Leak.... From the pan bolts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Fluid Leak.... From the pan bolts?

wingnutkev

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
It looks like it is leaking off the bolts, it is very slow. Would that just be the gasket? If it were leaking somewhere else (such as the cooler lines) wouldn't it leak off the edge of the pan?

Just a little back story, A4LD front seal failure, replaced tranny with salvage yard A4LD. I had removed the pan to inspect but did not replace the gasket. Could over tightening the pan bolts cause this issue? I have a A4LD in the garage ready for rebuild so I will have a back up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the bolts first??

I have made sure they are all tight, it is leaking from the one bolt directly under the OD servo.

Upon the 100th glance I think it may be leaking from the servo. running down the side of the pan and up the lip of the pan and dripping off the bolt head. I thought if it was leaking from above that lip of the pan it would just drip off the lip not run up to the bolt before the drop falls.

same prob

I'm having the same problem. Have you identified the leak and how to fix? :p

the servo cover has an o-ring, and could leak possibly. In vehicle, removing/replacing the servo cover is unfun at best.

Did I read that right You've had 4 transmissions either rebuilt or exchanged on this one vehicle in seven years? You should be the expert by now. Did you do the work, or was it a shop?

The first two I did not touch and regret it due to the cost and what i have learned from doing the work my self. The 3rd one I started to do but due to time constraints and need for the vehicle I turned it over to a local shop and got routed and they kept it for two weeks. The most recent time I just swapped it with one from a junk yard. I still have the leak but it is very slow so until i can replace the OD servo O-ring I am just keeping on top of it. I also have an A4LD in the garage to rebuild. It's all been a good learning experience.

Back