• Register Today It's free!

steering fluid leak from cap

guitarplayer005

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt
I had the front end of my Explore on jack stands so that the front wheels were off of the ground. I tuned the steering wheel back and forth while the car was off. When I set the car down and backed out of the garage i noticed that when I steer the front end vibrates. There is also steering fluid leaking from the cap now. any ideas of whats happening??

Welcome to the forums!

The cap is probably wet because of you moving the steering rack with the engine off. It can force fluid back up out of the system. To fix the vibration (which is probably caused by air in the system) you will have to run the steering wheel lock to lock several times (with the motor on) to purge the air out. Then check the fluid level to make sure it's ok.

BTW, will be moving this to the proper forum.

Yep. JDraper hit it dead on the money. You slightly overfilled the reservoir for bleeding with the engine off. When you turned the wheel, it forced fluid back up into the reservoir without pumping any back the other way.

The chattering took quite some time to completely disappear on the one I did the other day. But it will go away.

Back