tranny input shaft problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny input shaft problem

whitetails

Reaction score
City, State
edon, oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
got a tranny from the yard and when my mechanic was putting it in he could not get the torque converter to seat properly and noticed the input shaft on the "new" one was out about an inch or so farther than the old one. is it possible they yanked the tranny out without unscrewing the torque converter and caused this problem or is it something more simple? 94 4x4 v6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the A4LD is anything like its newer versions (of which it should be), then there is a correct and a wrong way to install the input shaft. So maybe remove it and try installing it 'backwards' of the way it is now.

can i just tap it with a hammer or something?

or is it possible that the input shaft varies from tranny to tranny and there is no real problem other than more patience trying to seat the torque converter?

Dont tap it in with a hammer!

The input shaft has two different splined ends. The end with the shorter splines goes in first.

im not assembling the tranny or disassembling it.....maybe i am not correct in my terminology??? the issue is only that the torque converter is not seating properly because the shaft coming out of the bell housing, the inner shaft is sticking out farther than the old one and is preventing the torque converter from seating. or so we think. what would make it do that? is it a bad tranny or am i retarded?

exactly as I said.
That shaft pulls out, and there are two different ends, one end will not seat (the end with the long splines). The other end WILL seat correctly. If its forced into place incorrectly its going to be tough to pull out but thats what you need to do.

Probably when the yard pulled it that shaft just fell out, its not held in by anything other than the torque converter when its installed. The probably picked up up, didnt see the difference in the ends and just shoved it back in. The splines on the two ends are not the same, That shaft will only seat correctly ONE WAY. If its sticking out too far, yank it back out and flip it around.

edit:
this shaft is what you (and I) are talking about:
input%20shaft.jpg

i agree with Facimeor straight to the point.

you are obviously smarter and more well educated than i am on the subject. you had to spell it out for me as though you would a child. thank you very much this makes much more sense. i appreciate the help.

lol, I dont know about smarter or more educated on the subject...I just had the same problem spring up for me when I pulled MY 5R55E a couple weeks ago. That shaft fell out on my floor and I was like...uh oh!

In fact in my picture Im pretty sure its in backwards on my trans at that point as well ;)

Back