5R55E Input Shaft stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Input Shaft stuck

mpx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer
I'm stuck at step 4 of removing the input shaft
The input shaft is sticking out about one inch, it doesn't go in (or out, to insert it properly) and because of that the TQ doesn't go in as in the picture.

What's holding the shaft? If I could remove it I could slide it back in properly. The shaft slides a little but is stopped both ways, won't slide in or out.
The suggestions I found and tried were:
1. spin the shaft while in neutral: is it the output shaft, in which direction? Done it, but I'll put more effort if I have to.
2. tap the output shaft in?
3. pull the input shaft out with vise grips,tap lightly with a hammer to pull it out (like a slide hammer): I tried that, too but not too hard, can I break anything? I'm waiting for answers to see if it's ok.

Does it matter if the transmission is vertical or horizontal when I spin or try to slide the shaft?

I'm trying to swap the transmission, the shaft came out easily on the old one - once -but after that it was stuck in the same position. After I took out the bellhousing I can slide the shaft all the way in again, but I don't want to remove the BH on the replacement if not necessary, I understand there might be some alignment tool needed if I do. Since I had the same problem with the input shaft on the old tranny, it must be something I don't do right.

So I turned again to the experience of the veterans, only this time it seems nobody else got stuck here (without removing the BH).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to do a transmission swap. I put the replacement six times in , I'm always coming short about 1 inch - I thought the torque converter kept sliding, as I don't have the tool to hold it (if it's really necessary, where can I find it?) It turns out the input shaft is locked exactly 1 inch out from where it should be.

Other posts mentioned vise grips and turning the output shaft when in neutral. I tried both with no success. The shaft slides a little but is stopped both ways, won't slide in or out. I put the vise grips and tapped lightly with a hammer to pull it out (like a slide hammer). Do I need to hit it harder or can I break anything?

The shaft came out easily on the old one - once -but after that it was stuck in the same position. After I took out the bellhousing I can slide the shaft all the way in again, but I don't want to remove the BH on the replacement if not necessary, I understand there might be some alignment tool needed if I do. Since I had the same problem with the input shaft on the old tranny, it must be something I don't do right.

So I turned again to the experience of the veterans, only this time it seems nobody else got stuck here (without removing the BH).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

The 2 flat spots on the hub of the back side of the torque converter must enter the oil pump in the front of the transmission. If they are misaligned, the whole works cannot bolt up flush to the engine block. You must carefully turn the converter while gently pushing back and forth, with the transmission sitting level, until you feel the converter slip into the pump properly. Once this happens, the front of the converter will be seen as being back about 1 inch from the mating surface of the bell housing. While raising the trans. up and in, care must be taken that no tilt of the trans. forward occurs, as the converter can then slip OUT of the pump. If converter is properly entered into pump, the bell housing will go right up to the engine block easily. imp

The shaft is in backwards, put the vice grips on the splines again and tap hard on the underside to remove the shaft, fix any burs that you put on the shaft splines from the vice grips. The splines look alike but are different, the end with the shorter splines goes in the transmission.

Thank you for the advice, the shaft came out pulled with vise grips tapped underside. Once out, the shaft went back in all the way, up to the splines. That in turn allows the torque converter to enter the pump, which indeed makes its center sit about one inch below the bellhousing.

I've never removed a transmission before, and imp's notes added very useful installation details missing from the guide. However, my torque converter wasn't going in properly because the input shaft was sticking out, not because the TQ flat spots didn't align with the pump. After I revised my initial post, PopRichie77 understood my problem. Still, the shaft wasn't in backwards: it had come out just enough to come off the splines and then it was probably knocked back in wrong. I understand this happens often when the transmission is pulled with the engine, which is what must have happened at the junkyard I got it from.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me.

Notes:
1. When you see the BH so close to go in, it's hard to resist the temptation to pull it in ever so slightly with the screws. Don't do it. In my case that didn't damage anything, because the pressure was transferred to the shaft and not the pump.
2. If the TQ holding tool is not available, the TQ can be held in place temporarily with a box end wrench bolted to the bellhousing.

I see this is a 6 year old thread. I'll try anyway. I have a 2004 Explorer that I did a complete engine timing cassette replacement on. One of the flexplate to torque converter nuts rounded off, so I pulled the engine with the TC attached. The engine is ready to go back in, but the TC won't seat in the trans. The input shaft is stuck, the same situation as the thread's originator has. The shaft is not in backward.

I'm preparing to try and remove the trans, with or without the transfer case attached. The truck is on a lift and I'm trying to figure out if trying to set them both down is a good or bad idea.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Back