• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Issues

gr8whitemountie

Reaction score
City, State
The Steel City, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer
I have a 98 Mountaineer V8 AWD with 63K on the clock, several months ago I started to notice a harsh vibration occasionally in-between shifts. It only happens about one time per 25 miles or so, I would guess. The vibration has gotten worse since I first noticed it, i.e. it has been lasting longer. The vibration is very similar to the vibration that is felt when you drive over the rumble strips on the side of the highway, several of my passengers that were in the truck when it happened actually thought I swerved out of my lane and hit the rumble strips. I have no idea what this could be? Tourque converter, U Joints, tranny itself? I would appreciate if anyone could help me out!

Thanks a lot!
Matt

Welcome to the forum. I was getting a harsh vibration, but only at certain speeds. It got worse until I got under the truck and noticed the front driveshaft u joint had lost all of its needles, and the cap was broken. I also had a vibration that started as intermittent, and ended up being the transfer case bolts backing out from the tranny. After tightening the bolts and adding some fluid it was fine.
I'd check the front driveshaft, they aren't known for their longevity with on the V8's.

Back