• Register Today It's free!

Tranny woes

Frankieatc

Reaction score
City, State
hornell, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
OK guys....I have searched many posts about the common troubles...here are my specifics.....started slipping at 2-3 gear- noticed my fluid was crappy. had a filter-fluid change- and didn't improve much at the time (last week). The OD light was blinking a few times as I hadn't been paying attention to the RPM's. I called a local shop and the guy said (after I reported symptoms) " $1400 to $1900 guaranteed" and I flipped. I am a college student retraining for a new career, and almost passed out LOL. Ex has 140,000 without many prob's. I went to advance auto and used their OBD-2 and there are no codes. The tranny guy said "don't drive it anymore- you will kill it" and this just ain't an option. I drive her now with careful attention of RPM's and it seems to do fine and no codes / OD blink). Do I have an unfixable (without paying $1900 bucks) problem? I would love if you tranny experts could give your two cents. Thanks in advance (no pun intended!)!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's hillarious. Guy says he wants to overhaul your tranny for $1400, but "don't drive it. You'll kill it."? If he says it has to be overhauled anyway, what more damage are you going to do to it by driving it? I hope someone here can help you. But this guy you're talking to needs a lesson in logic.

LOL that's kind of what I was thinking, geosnooker....I failed to mention in my previous post that reverse engages sort of slowly when cold as well.

FMEM or "limp" mode will increase the pressure rating of the EPC solenoid to allow more apply pressure to the clutch plates. In this process of higher than usual pressure, it puts extra stress on everything. This programming strategy is only to be used to limp home instead of getting stranded on the highway, and is not recommended for daily driving.

So Brooklyn....from what I have stated, things look perilous at this point, even though it will drive normally if I don't horse it?:eek:

Some codes are manufacturer specific, and a place like Autozone or Advance can't pull them. You might have to get the codes read in a transmission shop. There should be a code stored in there if the O/D light is flashing, and it's going into limp mode.

has not flashed since the day after I changed filter/fluid. I am just hoping for some sort of miracle, because I am really strapped financially at this time. The only real thing that is still evident is the RPM rev between 2-3 gear....:(

Thank you for the honest answer, Brooklyn. Have a great day!

Back