• Register Today It's free!

trans cooler install

keltic67

Reaction score
City, State
dekalb
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer base trim
just bought a 2015. great so far really like it. going to be pulling a trailer. 5x10 3000lbs. trans cooler??. I've installed them on all my other vehicles. question are. which line comes out of the factory cooler and back to trans. so direction of fluid flow? also will I find ford quick connectors on this gen 5 explorer. can they disconnect? adaptors?. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would you consider using Forscan to read the trans temp when driving to establish whether you actually need a cooler?

I'm not familiar with newer vehicles. ive always used trans coolers because of the weight of the trailer and the miles driven with it. this car does have a tow package. can trans fluid ever be too cool? just wondering what other people do. maybe the stock system is enough. I don't know. looking for threads or information before I buy or attempt to install it.

just bought a 2015. great so far really like it. going to be pulling a trailer. 5x10 3000lbs. trans cooler??. I've installed them on all my other vehicles. question are. which line comes out of the factory cooler and back to trans. so direction of fluid flow? also will I find ford quick connectors on this gen 5 explorer. can they disconnect? adaptors?. thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Does your vehicle have the factory installed tow hitch? If so and it is AWD you can tow 5000 lbs without requiring anything except a weight distribution hitch (2000 lbs and up). If it is an aftermarket hitch, the towing limit is 2000 lbs. They have different transmissions.

Peter

The issue with towing and temps is you have to monitor it while you are towing. Taking a one time reading with a Forscan isn't going to save you from cooking your tranny it it suddenly starts to overheat while towing. Also, wonder if you could add a transmission temp gauge? There are bluetooth enabled ODBII dongles that can send info to your phone or tablet while driving.

Don't know if the Explorer needs extra cooling or not, but you should look at the Police Interceptor models that are equipped with extra cooling...maybe you can pickup those parts and use them.

does not have a factory tow package. I'm definitely putting in a cooler. there s gotta be people out there with after market coolers. there are several different aftermarket coolers available from 40$ and up. just trying to save a little time and or avoid installation problems. looking for some info. if anyone's put one in let me know. thanks.

The issue with towing and temps is you have to monitor it while you are towing. Taking a one time reading with a Forscan isn't going to save you from cooking your tranny it it suddenly starts to overheat while towing. Also, wonder if you could add a transmission temp gauge? There are bluetooth enabled ODBII dongles that can send info to your phone or tablet while driving.

Don't know if the Explorer needs extra cooling or not, but you should look at the Police Interceptor models that are equipped with extra cooling...maybe you can pickup those parts and use them.

Forscan is a live monitor, not a screen shot.

I guess monitoring the temp would be nice. but really towing a heavy trailer is gonna put some kinda strain on the transmission resulting in a higher fluid temp. I think We all can agree on that. well if anyone has installed one in a Gen 5 with the 3.5 v6. let me know. I'm just looking for some tips or things to watch out for. it's very cold in northern Illinois this time of year. wanted to get some information on here rather than laying underneath the vehicle in freezing temps. thanks.

I guess monitoring the temp would be nice. but really towing a heavy trailer is gonna put some kinda strain on the transmission resulting in a higher fluid temp. I think We all can agree on that. well if anyone has installed one in a Gen 5 with the 3.5 v6. let me know. I'm just looking for some tips or things to watch out for. it's very cold in northern Illinois this time of year. wanted to get some information on here rather than laying underneath the vehicle in freezing temps. thanks.

Hello

Found this thread, I don´t know if you got the trans cooler installed.
My story, bought a 2013 XLT 3.5 V6 50k miles a couple of months ago, no towing package. Doing a through maintenance noticed transmission fluid was dark brown, freaked out. Found a youtube video saying is kind of "normal" for Mercon LV after as low as 15k miles. Still did 4 successive drain and fill of the trans (used about 4.5 quarts on the fill). Fluid is dark red now, much better. Also started monitoring transmission temps using the Torque app. City stop and go traffic temps would climb to 204 F after just 10 minutes. Just yesterday with highway 65mph driving after 45 min, took a look at the trans temp, 206 F. Just to be clear, the vehicle was full (7 passengers) but no luggage, no mountain climbing, just flat highway 85 F ambient temps. I will be getting a cooler soon. Doing some research about the Hayden coolers, just have to find the correct size. I´m leaning towards the Hayden 1677 Rapid Cool, it´s 11"x7.5". One review about a Volvo said it helped to lower temps down 30 degrees F. I won´t be doing any towing, so this could be the size for me (206 - 30 = 176 which is perfect). Of course, this is just a guess, it´s not the same vehicle. The bigger cooler after this one, one review said it helped lower the tans temp 40 degrees while towing, so it could be too large for my non towing driving.

Hello

Found this thread, I don´t know if you got the trans cooler installed.
My story, bought a 2013 XLT 3.5 V6 50k miles a couple of months ago, no towing package. Doing a through maintenance noticed transmission fluid was dark brown, freaked out. Found a youtube video saying is kind of "normal" for Mercon LV after as low as 15k miles. Still did 4 successive drain and fill of the trans (used about 4.5 quarts on the fill). Fluid is dark red now, much better. Also started monitoring transmission temps using the Torque app. City stop and go traffic temps would climb to 204 F after just 10 minutes. Just yesterday with highway 65mph driving after 45 min, took a look at the trans temp, 206 F. Just to be clear, the vehicle was full (7 passengers) but no luggage, no mountain climbing, just flat highway 85 F ambient temps. I will be getting a cooler soon. Doing some research about the Hayden coolers, just have to find the correct size. I´m leaning towards the Hayden 1677 Rapid Cool, it´s 11"x7.5". One review about a Volvo said it helped to lower temps down 30 degrees F. I won´t be doing any towing, so this could be the size for me (206 - 30 = 176 which is perfect). Of course, this is just a guess, it´s not the same vehicle. The bigger cooler after this one, one review said it helped lower the tans temp 40 degrees while towing, so it could be too large for my non towing driving.
I have the 1678 on my 96. I drive on hills, it would climb to 210 sometimes. Never goes above 170 now. No such thing as over-cooling a modern transmission. Even the 96 had an internal trans thermostat. That is why flushing in most case is ineffective, because the entire fluid isn't circulated until it heats up internally. After long trips you can cook an egg on that cooler!

I have the 1678 on my 96. I drive on hills, it would climb to 210 sometimes. Never goes above 170 now. No such thing as over-cooling a modern transmission. Even the 96 had an internal trans thermostat. That is why flushing in most case is ineffective, because the entire fluid isn't circulated until it heats up internally. After long trips you can cook an egg on that cooler!
JAJA cook an egg

I did the lazy flush. Drained 4.5 quarts and refilled, drove for a week and repeat 3 more times (total of 4) This transmission is really easy to drain and refill, so I save on labor, spend more on fluid thou. The positive about drain and refill, some transmission just don´t like the flush. That sudden new fluid makes them act weird sometimes. I had a 2010 Explorer and did the flush, after that developed a big bump when engaging reverse. About the cooler, I haven´t decided between the 1677 and 1678. I´ve read that statement before, can´t over-cool a modern transmission, so I´m leaning towards the 1678. Thanks for sharing!

I believe that transmissions on the 5th gen are different. 6F50 and 6F55. Not to say what you posted may not apply to them as well.

Peter

You couldnt be more wrong. Modern transmissions are designed a certain way and to run at a certain temp. The 6r140 runs around 200 unloaded and can run up to the 240s towing (and wont sound an alarm till the 250s). It is designed to run hot for efficiency and would never want to put a cooler on to run it in the 170s to 180s.

You couldnt be more wrong. Modern transmissions are designed a certain way and to run at a certain temp. The 6r140 runs around 200 unloaded and can run up to the 240s towing (and wont sound an alarm till the 250s). It is designed to run hot for efficiency and would never want to put a cooler on to run it in the 170s to 180s.
I'm quoting what a local trans guy said. He said you could never overcool ANY transmission. He said look at all the cars here, old and new. All can benefit.

2011+ Explorer have a thermal bypass to allow the transmission to warm up to operating temperature. I´m also looking at a Hayden By-pass trans coolers, they won´t over-cool the fluid. I was looking at the Ford workshop manual, the OEM Bypass will work until fluid is at 140 F, so wanting to run the fluid at 175-195 doesn´t sound bad at all.

2011+ Explorer have a thermal bypass to allow the transmission to warm up to operating temperature. I´m also looking at a Hayden By-pass trans coolers, they won´t over-cool the fluid. I was looking at the Ford workshop manual, the OEM Bypass will work until fluid is at 140 F, so wanting to run the fluid at 175-195 doesn´t sound bad at all.
Exactly. It is that way in every modern transmission. My AWD GS lexus shares a trans with a Tundra, and there is cooler for the truck if it has a tow package. The trans guy said the time you are towing a load up hill, and the fluid cooks, is how he stays in business. Newer fluids can certainly take more but they have limits too. The fluid never sees the cooler until it is hot. I can tell by watching the scan tool when the fluid hits the cooler. The only advantage according to him may be a tiny MPG boost, but once you pass the very low 200s oxidation is starting.

To me, I see it clearly. I will add the hayden trans cooler with the by-pass, so I will have two by-passes. The OEM that will ensure oil flows when the trans reaches operating temperature. Then the hayden cooler will prevent oil from being over-cooled.

Found this webiste Transmission Oil
It says, it is possible to over-cool a transmission in a cold climate. Not my case thou, I live in hot temps all year long. Also, the cooler I´ll be getting will have the built in by-pass, should prevent over-cooling in any situation.

The 6F55 on my Fusion Sport uses engine coolant to warm up the Mercon LV, and then regulate it, while an external air to oil cooler sits below the foglight for cooling. What this does is allow the ATF to warm up asap and regulates it at no less than engine coolant temperature. From my datalogging it generally stays at 202F-203F. It will never go below engine coolant temp.

The 6F55 on my Fusion Sport uses engine coolant to warm up the Mercon LV, and then regulate it, while an external air to oil cooler sits below the foglight for cooling. What this does is allow the ATF to warm up asap and regulates it at no less than engine coolant temperature. From my datalogging it generally stays at 202F-203F. It will never go below engine coolant temp.

I actually never ended installing the extra cooler. When I got in touch with Hayden they advise against the cooler I was looking that already had the bypass, they told me since my system already has a bypass that I shouldn´t add another one. I also found out that for good fuel economy the trans fluid needs to be in the very same temps I was getting which is about 206F. What I´m going to do is do a trans fluid change every 30k miles, that´s just drain and fill 4.5 quarts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually never ended installing the extra cooler. When I got in touch with Hayden they advise against the cooler I was looking that already had the bypass, they told me since my system already has a bypass that I shouldn´t add another one. I also found out that for good fuel economy the trans fluid needs to be in the very same temps I was getting which is about 206F. What I´m going to do is do a trans fluid change every 30k miles, that´s just drain and fill 4.5 quarts.

Yes these newer transmissions run more efficiently with the ATF at 200F or higher. When towing that Mercon LV can see 230F on the trucks in the 10R80.

Back