Trans Fluid: How Not to Make a Mess? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans Fluid: How Not to Make a Mess?

msmith65

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I changed my '93's transmission fluid and filter last night (2WD). Had a bear of a time getting the pan off, spilling fluid on the exhaust pipe. I couldn't see any way to get the pan free, channeling the fluid into an oil-drain pot, without getting at least some fluid on the frame and exhaust, which form four close sides around and below the pan.

I cleaned up with brake cleaner so there was no smoke when I started the engine. Still, there has to be a better way.

Any tips for me? I plan to do this again soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dropping the pan is a pain in the arse, period.

I find it so easy and quick to simply flush the tranny. You can do it in the driveway r garage in about 20 minutes and not spill a single drop of fluid.

Dropping the pan only removes a small amount of fluid, whereas the flus removes almost 100%.

Adding n external filter is also a great idea.

Good luck.

Rubbermaid makes a under bed storage container that will catch the entire pan and fluid......Wally Mart $10.

aldive said:
Dropping the pan is a pain in the arse, period.

I find it so easy and quick to simply flush the tranny. You can do it in the driveway r garage in about 20 minutes and not spill a single drop of fluid.

Dropping the pan only removes a small amount of fluid, whereas the flus removes almost 100%.

Adding n external filter is also a great idea.

Good luck.

What do you use to flush the fluid in your driveway?

msmith65 said:
Any tips for me? I plan to do this again soon.

I use the Fortune method: Wal-Mart under-bed storage container with wheels. Roll it under, drop pan, let drain, roll it back out. Not too much mess, as pan drops go...

Flushing serves a purpose, but it does not let you change the filter. I'll flush mine someday when I convert to synthetic fluid; in the meantime, this is preventive maintenance.

Hokie said:
What do you use to flush the fluid in your driveway?

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

The the truck run at idle while 1 quart is pumped out. Stop the truck andd add back 1 quart of new ATF.

I used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Amsoil ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, just slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 15 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

drill a 1/4" hole in the BACK of pan, center the hole about 1/2" - 3/4" away from the bottom. let the pan drain.

Once the pan stops dripping (1/2 hr or so), drop the pan.

Once the pan is down, install a drain plug (usually will require a larger hole being drilled)

Now you can use a STANDARD 'oil change' container.

Ryan

I wrapped plastic bags around the pipes and heat shields when I did it. It worked OK and I thought tin foil might work better the next time. After the fact I wish I had put in a drain plug. Drilling the hole first makes it an even better (easier) idea. Just like everything else, you need to have all the parts and materials (and a plan) ready for when you have time to do the work. Sounds obvious, but sometimes that takes longer than the work itself.

Drill the hole/add a drain plug method. I just did that and I am glad I did. Having worked at a transmission shop, I realise the importance of changing the fluid regularly. I also used Lube Guard additive and it has cleaned up the shifts drasticly. Get the drain plug and lube guard at napa, also get a new trans filter and a reusable pan gasket. Good luck and make sure you clean everything up really nice and clean the magnet if it has one and add one if it doesnt !

Dont drill too far!!! Yikes.......

Also on many stock pans (such as the a4ld 4x4 version placement of the drain port is crucial, you cannot put it in the bottom of the sump pickup which would be idea lto get all the fluid out, the best place is in the back of the pan where there is enough clearance above it to not cause problems, also so you dont rip it out while wheeling (as Rhett said).

I personally would like to have the pan off to see the best location for the drain...

I use the rubbermade bin to drain all my fluids, but then with 33's and 6" of suspension I can fit a 18" tall rubbermaid under there no problem :)

With my A4LD (RIP) I got an aftermarket aluminum pan with a built in additional 2 quart capacity, drain port, and port for temp sender unit, some of the best $$$ I spent on that transmission, which was a total waste of $$$ to begin with :)

Yeah drain plugs can be great, but the only problem with drilling your pan is:
1) if you drill with the pan on the truck, you could drill too far. yikes is right
2) if you put the drain plug in the wrong place, it could catch on something off-road.
And that would also put you in a "world of hurt," as Blaine (Jesse Ventura) would say.

410, whatever happened to the A4LD pan? (He asks curiously)

Its still mounted to teh A4LD on the floor of my shop.
Once the 5.0L is in and running I will look at selling all my 4.0L stuff, I am holding on to it because I may put a 4.0L into another BII, but it is not likely I will ever use a A4LD again......on a trail BII I would run a C4

Wonder if it would be smart and not harmful to stick a big ol' honkin' magnet on the outside of the pan (say, on the side) to help the other magnet out?

I'm talking about a monstrous magnet I have -- strong enough to lift many pounds -- and just wide enough to fit on the side of the pan without clearance problems.

Sure, cant hurt, hopefully you dont have any metal in there, but if you do the magnet will help. Your best bet is a external filter :)

410Fortune said:
Its still mounted to teh A4LD on the floor of my shop.
Once the 5.0L is in and running I will look at selling all my 4.0L stuff, I am holding on to it because I may put a 4.0L into another BII, but it is not likely I will ever use a A4LD again......on a trail BII I would run a C4

Are you putting a 5.0 in your BII?

hahahaha oh brother....yes the 4.0L is out, prep has begun, converting to a 97 Merc Mountaineer 5.0L with 4R70W auto and keeping the OBD-II electronics :)
planning 2 months and $3500 total....starting last Saturday

410Fortune said:
hahahaha oh brother....yes the 4.0L is out, prep has begun, converting to a 97 Merc Mountaineer 5.0L with 4R70W auto and keeping the OBD-II electronics :)
planning 2 months and $3500 total....starting last Saturday

Are you gonna keep your dash/instrument cluster?...
You'll be busy wiring that up.

How many miles did you have on that 4.0L?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back