• Register Today It's free!

trans won't go into drive....

Doug R.

Reaction score
City, State
Anchor Point, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Ranger
I have an '87 2 WD 2.9 with the A4LD. When I shift it into Drive it won't engage. But, if I rev the engine it will engage, with a clunk to the whole drive train but once engaged operates perfectly, reverse as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

I have an '87 2 WD 2.9 with the A4LD. When I shift it into Drive it won't engage. But, if I rev the engine it will engage, with a clunk to the whole drive train but once engaged operates perfectly, reverse as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Does it engage when the lever is positioned in the "2" and "1" positions?

It acts the same in all forward gears regardless of which one it is. However, it pops right into reverse with no hesitation.

It acts the same in all forward gears regardless of which one it is. However, it pops right into reverse with no hesitation.

I'm going out on a limb here, because I am by NO means an expert on transmissions, but your symptoms are similar to those I experienced with my the tranny in my (former) 96 Ranger, and it ended up being my forward clutch was gone. In my case reverse worked, and my forward gears didn't engage at all, but neither did I try revving my engine into the higher RPM range. Anyway, the forward clutch appears to be the ONE component that is common with all the forward gears regardless of band or other clutch engagements. At least that's how it has been explained to me, and that's consistent with all the materials I've read (and happened to understand). If it is the forward clutch, it will require a rebuild.

I'd say your forward clutch is a suspect, but I most definitely defer to those who know FAR more than I.

Back