manual trans won't go into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual trans won't go into gear

driftbendito

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I noticed my 98 explorer was making a grinding/rattling sound when I pushed the clutch pedal in and placed the car in gear. It didn't make the noise when the clutch was depressed without engaging a gear. I decided to take the car around the block, it seemed to drive fine but still made the noise when switching gears. When I pulled the car in the driveway I noticed it was almost impossible to put the car in gear. What could the problem be? Is it possible that one of the clutch springs failed. Also, the car was never driven hard or used to tow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clutch or clutch slave cylinder would be the first things to look at. With your description, I'd lean towards the clutch.

any ideas on what happened with the clutch causing this problem

Synchronizers could cause trouble too I thought.

i did notice that the pedal felt spongy and had a lot of play, but would this cause a grinding/rattling sound when putting the car in gear

i did notice that the pedal felt spongy and had a lot of play, but would this cause a grinding/rattling sound when putting the car in gear

Possibly a little bit, but for the most part it shouldn't. The clutch being bad I mean.

if the slave cylinder is the problem would it be leaking? I looked under my car and it appears dry

defiantely check the clutch fluid reservoir to see how full (or empty :eek:) it is.

clutch fluid reservoir is filled. I decided that I am going to go ahead and repalce the clutch and slave cylinder and go from there.

Back