Transfer case fluid change - how much is enough? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case fluid change - how much is enough?

El

Reaction score
City, State
Newfoundland and Labrador
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer
I changed the fluid in the transfer case on my '91 Explorer and was surprised when I took out the fill plug that fluid started running out, is this normal or was the transfer case overfilled? When I drained the case and put in new fluid it only took about a bottle and a half and it all started running out of fill hole again, does this mean that's all of the fluid it needs? I am just wondering as it seems that a bottle and a half isn't much, but then again I have never changed it before this and so I don't know the usual amount. I know you're supposed to fill it until you can feel it at the bottom of the fill hole but it's just so tricky to tell.

transfer cases don't take but so much fluid. Also, it depends how level you were. You probably weren't that level. Did you change it right after you were driving, cause the fluid could of expanded a little more. I usually just fill until it runs out -- only thing that'll come out of it is it might spit out of the vent tube (but rarely happens). Make sure you put the right fluid in.

-Drew

Back