Transfer Case Leak? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Leak?

coloradoexplore

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I recently purchased a 2006 Explorer with 83,000 miles on it. It was a one owner in excellent condition. When I purchased it, I checked all over for any leaks or problems and it was completely dry. Now I'm seeing a few small spots on the garage floor from the area of what I'm guessing is the transfer case? It seems to be clear, not pink like transmission fluid. I'm new to Explorers and generally new to 4-wheel-drive mechanics. I'm attaching a photo. I'm thinking it's a seal in the transfer case? Any help on expense or thoughts to what it could be would be a great help. Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__UPtmA91ppRmxqQmM0NnJsblk/view

open

I recently purchased a 2006 Explorer with 83,000 miles on it. It was a one owner in excellent condition. When I purchased it, I checked all over for any leaks or problems and it was completely dry. Now I'm seeing a few small spots on the garage floor from the area of what I'm guessing is the transfer case? It seems to be clear, not pink like transmission fluid. I'm new to Explorers and generally new to 4-wheel-drive mechanics. I'm attaching a photo. I'm thinking it's a seal in the transfer case? Any help on expense or thoughts to what it could be would be a great help. Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__UPtmA91ppRmxqQmM0NnJsblk/view

open

Well, guessing what's leaking by where it's dripping on the floor is misleading. Assuming it's a 4X4, has a transfer case, there are two seals involved at their juncture, output on the transmission, and input on the transfer case. The TC is not very wide front to back, and the leaker might be it's output shaft seal. imp

If it's not red then highly unlikely it's trans or tx case fluid. Clear fluid near the middle of the vehicle, most likely condensation leaking out through one of the connections on the exhaust system (which is normal, btw).

Back