Transfer case shaft sensor for 4x4 blinking light. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case shaft sensor for 4x4 blinking light.

Hey Victor thanx for the reply. OUCH! does that mean the cm is alright and the clutch is bad? i priced tranxfer case cheapest i found was $800 dollars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol its def possible. I am gonna change the cm anyways cause its the cheaper of the two. I cant remember if the relay is suppose to click on high and lo but mine only clicks on lo. If that doesnt fix it im going to tear down the transfer case and check the clutch but its freezin out and unfortunately snowin over hear but i will def keep you posted. There are others that have the same problem but noone has replied if they got it fixed and one guy said hes put enough money into the car and is just gonna get another one. I believe ebay has some cheap transfer cases with atleast a 30 day warrantee so check that before you spend 800. Ill keep you guys informed all the way.

Trucku can you check if you put in 4wd high if the relay clicks thanks

Im in longisland ny, just saw you used to be my neighbor. The last two letters are differeny than mine and i see you have the xls and i have the xlt. I wonder what the difference is? My problem is all my lights work as should. No blinking lights whatsoever. Even when i slip on ice 4wd light comes on but no 4wd. So i checked all wiring its either module or clutch in transfer case which im leaning towards but easier to change module lol

Ah..my son lives in Brentwood. He is exit 53 off LIE.

I don't think there is a difference in the transfer case.

Hmm. My 4x4 light does not come on when in auto mode. It just engages. It is only on if I select 4x4 hi or low manually. Hopefully someone else can give some information on this. I am not sure about the codes on the module. My new module had different numbers than my old one. Here is what the box has for the new one:

Motorcraft
TM-153
1L2Z-7E453-A

Hope this helps.

It is really crappy out here today. haven't seen the plow yet. It was icy the whole way to my daughters school. Played around with my auto mode. The truck fished tailed under heavy acceleration on slight turn, but moved right along. So far so good.

Never hear the relay click on high, just low.

Victor,Maybe you can get some sensors of another truck and try them first. I have my old sensors still. I think just one of them is bad. Want them? You can see if one works for you.

Jeff, do you you have a blinking 4x4 light at all? That would mean a sensor from what I have come to find out after changing the module. Right before my sensor went dead, my truck would just engage 4x4 with no given reason, but would reset after I shut the truck off. I would only find out when I went to make a turn and heard the front binding up. I did have a module changed by the dealer, but my truck was stuck in 4x4 mode, not blinking the 4x4 light.

My fluid had LOTS of metal shavings in it, when I changed it last week.I don't know how healthy my clutch actually is in the transfer case. Hoping that I have no other issues. I rather work on this rig in the warmth.

No blinking lights Trucku, every thing appears normal (it will shift from high to low range and back to auto4x4 and all lights appear to work normal) only thing is front wheels wont spin. Actually it is daughters car so i had her take off on hill to see if front wheel would spin so i could watch them(no spinning)LOL.

thats the part number they gave me for a new module. there are differences some trucks our year came with traction control which makes the module different. according to what i have gathered there are three different modules but if ford gave you the same module as what they told me im sure they are the same. how much do u want and are you positive it works?

and thats definantly weird that your 4wd light doesn't come on in auto mode. even when my 4wd was working when i slipped the auto mode put 4wd high on and then shut it off when the sensors picked up no more slipping. i believe my sensors are fine i went to the auto shop i used to work for and they let me scan it. according from the scanner when in 4wd both sensors are reading the same which is normal. i would rather go back to non electronic my 94 4wd lasted longer than the truck with no problems the whole time i had it.

metal shavings is never a good sign but from all your problems it might have been kickin in and out without you noticing. it might hold up though

I have never seen the 4x4 light go one when in auto mode. Maybe I just never noticed...lol. The only time I see it is when I select the mode manually.

Jeff,
Don't have an idea man. Your system is showing no faults except that fact that it is not working. Wow this is a hard one.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.

I would have to guess the module is a working one. I put in the new one just because I thought the module was bad. Nothing changed, so then I knew it was one or both of the sensors. I kept the new module in and put the older one away.

I really can't guarantee that it is working, just know that it did when I pulled it. To tell you the truth I don't want to pull the new one out and test the old one. Everything is working and I don't want to mess with it. The stars are aligned and I may mess it up...lol

Manual switching would be so easy...lol

My buddy sold me his little Honda CRV for my wife to use. That little bugger has never had any issues with it's drive line. The little thing is great in the snow. Love my truck, but jeez one thing after another.

Who knows how long my 4x4 was engaging on dry pavement. I hope it holds up. I will change the fluid again in a week or two for good measure.
I am wondering if the new module has updates that allow it to manage the 4x4 mode better and not allow for it to engage when not needed?

that is correct, it is completely updated. your blinking issue was your sensors but the module also causes blinking issues. the module also fixes dead 4wd lights and dead module when battery is disconnected. the blinking just tells you something is wrong. since mine and jeffs are identical i will be the guinnea pig lol. Thanks for the offer on the module but like you said it's not a hundred percent that it works and that would be a major factor in telling if it is the module or transfer case so ill just get the updated one. glad to see you back up though,

jeff ill keep you posted with my findings

Oh by the Victorv thanks for being the guinnea pig. i will be watching this!!!!

lol no problem, just ordered the module so i will let you know when i install it. i will read your link now.

i read it and dont see brown wire voltage. it just says ohm with it plugged in and unplugged.

that is correct, it is completely updated. your blinking issue was your sensors but the module also causes blinking issues. the module also fixes dead 4wd lights and dead module when battery is disconnected. the blinking just tells you something is wrong. since mine and jeffs are identical i will be the guinnea pig lol. Thanks for the offer on the module but like you said it's not a hundred percent that it works and that would be a major factor in telling if it is the module or transfer case so ill just get the updated one. glad to see you back up though,

jeff ill keep you posted with my findings

Yeah I wouldn't feel right about it. I am sure it works, but you don't need more variables in the equation.

That's good info. I didn't know exactly what was updated, Thanks

Good Luck!

i read it and dont see brown wire voltage. it just says ohm with it plugged in and unplugged.

Thats what I mean, i read those ohms on the transfer case they were correct on mine. not sure if that means the clutch is good or not tho.

Hey Victorv have you had your X on a scanner? After actually reading this article it looks like if the clutch is bad it will through a code of P1824 or p1826. i dont have a scanner

UPDATE:

I think my clutch is toasty oats or something is just wrong.

Been driving all over in this crappy weather and had no issues. I decided to see what would happen if I mashed the gas in my driveway with truck selected to 4x4hi. I could hear the rear wheel spin. I did not feel the front pull. I thought that it would be locked in 4x4 mode and at least one of the front wheels has to have power? Stumped here. Again all day driving all over and feels like I had no issue. I seemed like the front would engage after a little distance was traveled while the rear wheel slipped. WTF. I wonder if the clutch is worn and at high rpms it does not grab or maybe new module does not allow it to engage when the pedal is floored?

Going to put the old one back in and see what happens. I fear though all them metal shavings I found may have been the death of the clutch inside the transfer case.

If 4x4 was not working, I should have had trouble getting around. Don't know maybe the very thought of thinking it worked was just mind over matter and the Force was actually driving me around.

I need a good test. Going to get my wife out to see if the front wheels turn.

Update:
Tried pulling up on a snow mound. I can feel the front wheels pull the truck up slightly as the back wheels spin. I feel like just partial power is going to the front. I am not getting full drive power to the front. Normally I would still be stuck, but at least one front wheel would be spinning.

I fear the metal shavings were the aftermath of my 4x4 engaging on dry pavement prior the complete failure of a shaft speed sensor.

Let's see what I find tomorrow when I check for voltage to the transfer case.

Anything new today for you guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back