Transfer case swapping from a newer year | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case swapping from a newer year

DCVR 614

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 01 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD and my transfer case is going bad. I found several threads referring to the T-Case but, I had a question I'm unsure of. 1. I found a T-Case from a 05 Mounty could I swap it into my 01? Reason im asking this I found one with low mileage or is the BW4404 the exact T-Case I need for my Mounty?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where are u located? I've got a good tcase out of my 2000 explorer. Love to sell it.

That 01 AWD TC has to come from a 97-01 AWD Explorer, maybe 96 too. I'm fuzzy about the CV connection of the earlier AWD models. You don't need the VSS speed sensor, since yours comes from the rear diff.

I've sold two of those AWD TC's, one I shipped for about $35 about ten years ago. It's heavy but can be shipped well in a biggish Rubbermaid container.

Hmm.. That's a long way to ship a transfer case. But I have it if you're interested. I just pulled it to do a BW4406 swap.

How much do you think shipping would cost?

I think the weight was near 80lbs, and I used DHL when they used to be here. It took a long while to pack the thing well enough to fill the container. I used a lot of cardboard and it was hard to cut/bend/cram it all in well.

Sounds like it might be kinda costly to ship.

Back