Transmission #4 toast - A4LD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission #4 toast - A4LD

I'd like to see pics of the planetary and the front sprag

ps. no front one way clutch holding = no 1st or 2nd gear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright i cracked, its gone to the shop.. nothing stood out to me from the core of the tranny that screamed "NO GO". I think its valve body related, such as shrapnel stuck in a bore, however I need to know for sure itl be good to go, and also it needs to be done soon :(.

Thanks for all the help guys, ill let you all know how it went.

Yet another update, getting an A4 from the wreckers soon for 450 canadian, the transmission mechanic cant figure out how mine goes back together so im taking it back and going to rebuild it myself as a side project.

I think one of the roller bearing rollers from the O/D planetary is caught in the valve body, i will rebuild it when i get the transmission back, which may be today.

Lastly, thanks again for any input/help! Im hoping this next one will last a tad longer... but at this point im getting pretty good at dropping these things.

Glacier, i shall get some pics when i get the transmission back, unfortunately i work 5-10 today as well as im already at my co-op for the day, so i doubt i can get them tonight.

Make sure that you get an A4LD from a 94 with low miles. Flush out the cooler with cooler cleaner before reinstalling the transmission. Try to get a rebuilt torque converter. Don't reuse the old one.

Back in action guys, gonna do a full flush after a week or two, and still have to adjust the shift linkage.

Going to pick up the old transmission tomorrow.

Back