Transmission Access Panel Spring Nuts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Access Panel Spring Nuts

crumpms

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer
Hi all,
my first post here. It's a great place for information. Thanks!

I've got a '96 Explorer (4.0L 4 door) with an O2 sensor going out; I finally got it removed (bank 1 sensor 1). I've been following threads here on how to remove them and the various tips. One of these is console removal.

In this thread Turdle has a great picture showing the carpet pulled back, the access cover removed and the O2 sensor connectors.

My console is removed, the carpet pulled back and I've removed the access cover. The problem is that 3 of the 4 spring nuts that hold the cover in place have broken. I've gone to my local Ford dealer for the spring nuts but they can't find them listed in their computer. Their diagram shows the holes in the floor for the spring nuts (over the transmission), but no spring nuts or info on them.

Does anyone know what part numbers these are or where I can get equivalent replacement parts?

I've got pictures I would like to post, but the rules for posting here (near the bottom of the page) show that I cannot post attachments. :(
The message window has an icon for "insert image", but it is a web link, not one where I can upload an image.

Any idea on the spring nuts? If someone can tell me how to attach/upload-and-insert images maybe it would make it more clear.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the good one you have and one of the bolts to ace hardware or a similar store, I know alot of parts stores also carry them as well, its best to take one there for comparison.

I had the same issue with mine, I went to Ace Hardware, and brought the one intact nut that I had, and matched it up to the one that had there, it was a perfect match, I also bought new bolts, and used some Anti seize for reassembly. The technical term for them is U-nuts I believe.

Not sure if you have an Ace Hardware by you, but True Value should have the same stuff.

Guys,
I went to Ace and they had them. Perfect match. After tax it was $2.18 for four of them.

Now, off to post another question about my radio not working.

Thanks a million!

Awesome, glad it worked out for you

Back