• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Advice, please!

n3rdygrrrl

Reaction score
City, State
Palmer, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited
Hi! I have a 96 4.0 V6 auto 4x4 Limited Explorer. Everything on the rig is in beautiful condition, runs great, clean body, all electrical works well. 132K original miles on it. Well, everything except the transmission works great. The transmission stopped engaging any gears just 'poof' one day. My mechanic says I either need a replacement or a rebuild. I live in Alaska, and we don't have any great tranny shops that I would want to do a rebuild, so I'm looking at replacement. Brand new tranny from Ford costs about the same as what the vehicle is worth...so not willing to go that way.

My initial plan was to buy a drivable parts vehicle, so I could test it get a feel for the tranny. i've been keeping my eyes and ears open, haven't found that just yet. However, I did find a guy with a transmission from a '98 Ranger. Should be a 4r55e, just like my Explorer has. The bonus is that I dno't have to pay my mechanic to pull the tranny from anything, that's already been done. Bummer is that I cna't really test the tranny until it's installed. The guy only wants $350 for the transmission, which seems like a heck of a deal to me.

I talked to my mechanic about it, and he told me he'll install any transmission I bring to him (well, assuming it's the right transmission. heh). What do you guys think? Would you gamble with a used transmission you cant' test out before paying someone to install it? I like the idea of only paying $350 for the tranny. I could walk away for under $1,000 for this whole transmission thing. IF the tranny is good.

just looking for thoughts. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not as familiar with the 4R55 trannies as I am the 5R55. If the 4s have the same servo wear problems as the 5s then it isn't a matter of if the transmission will fail but when. A decent shop can take measures to all but eliminate this issue during a rebuild. At least that way you know what you have and it should have a warranty too.

You might go for years on a used tranny or you might end up spending another $1,000 to put another used tranny in it in a few months or paying for a rebuild. It all comes down to rolling the dice when installing a used transmission.

Shift it !

Could you replace the auto with a standard ? Lots of older Fords came with a M5R1 5-speed. I'm in the process of installing one now. Never going to have to pay for an expensive (auto ) rebuild. A clutch every 10 years or so and I'll be good. Good luck ! Brian

Could you replace the auto with a standard ? Lots of older Fords came with a M5R1 5-speed. I'm in the process of installing one now. Never going to have to pay for an expensive (auto ) rebuild. A clutch every 10 years or so and I'll be good. Good luck ! Brian

The M5 IS a good transmission. Of course, you will be installing a clutch pedal and all it's goodies, electrical connections on it for cruise-control drop-out, etc., clutch master cylinder.

Do you plan on replacing the PCM (computer) with the one specific to standard transmission? If you do not, your PCM will be looking for things which are no longer present, shift solenoids it will "see" as open-circuited, etc. This will produce all sorts of aggravating (to me) lights flashing and/or staying illuminated on the instrument panel.

If 4X4, will your transfer case be compatible for bolting up top the M5? imp

What can i say , I also live on a remote region where spares are difficult to find , first ill try lowering the tranny and seeing what is blown , and why not posting some photos to see the extent of damage , i live on a country where the 98% of the vehicles are manual , i know 3 or 4 transmission techs , but if there are no options try to buy transmission at a junkyard , transmissions arent a great deal , they arent black magic or strange mechanicaly fringe things , maybe is something cheap as a band , or the valve body is filled with trash !

What can i say , I also live on a remote region where spares are difficult to find , first ill try lowering the tranny and seeing what is blown , and why not posting some photos to see the extent of damage , i live on a country where the 98% of the vehicles are manual , i know 3 or 4 transmission techs , but if there are no options try to buy transmission at a junkyard , transmissions arent a great deal , they arent black magic or strange mechanicaly fringe things , maybe is something cheap as a band , or the valve body is filled with trash !

You might want to read ALL OF the posts on transmission troubles with the Explorer. I was quoted $1600 for a complete re-build on my 5R55E auto. Going to the M5R1 has cost me $1200 and I never have to pay for another auto re-build EVER.

IMP - 4x4 and everyone says the transfer case will bolt right up.

well ive had the same temptation to transform my explorer to Manual , but even mechanics here dont have the balls to do it , one of the technicians that works at our shop is a qualified mechanic , but he doesnt mess with blue oval things , for him fords are fringe !

Many helpers !

I'm doing mine with the help of everyone on this site who has posted info about it ! Tons of stuff available ! ( Also, I'm a rookie mechanic, so I'm being cautious ) Brian

IMP - 4x4 and everyone says the transfer case will bolt right up.

Important thing of course is that the M5 was from a 4X4, otherwise the tailshaft housing will not have provision to bolt to the transfer case. I had a 1999 w/M5, 2WD, and the trans. worked very well. imp

M5 4x4

Thanks, IMP. Yes, the trans was from a 4x4. I THINK I have all of the necessary parts now. Fingers crossed :) BN

Back