Transmission Cooler Line Disconnect / Radiator Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cooler Line Disconnect / Radiator Question

gr8ful_dead

Reaction score
City, State
Bethesda Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
My wifes 2006 Eddie Bauer had a leaky radiator, I bought a new one at NAPA... got the in place after some "fine tuning" , but... arggggg

1. The Transmission Cooler line connects are not "biting" with the new radiator - look like the same size but not getting a thread to catch? So I am left with a few options...
A. Get a "disconnect tool" and try to attach the lines to the new fittings that came with the new radiator (not sure about this process, I have not worked with these fittings before).
B. Change the lines from tranny to match the new fittings?
C. No clue if I have an option 3?

Anyone had this experience?

Next issue - I let about a quart of tranny fluid hit the driveway - read some posts about topping it off - man, now I need a pump to get the fluid in - argggg

Fixed

My wifes 2006 Eddie Bauer had a leaky radiator, I bought a new one at NAPA... got the in place after some "fine tuning" , but... arggggg

1. The Transmission Cooler line connects are not "biting" with the new radiator - look like the same size but not getting a thread to catch? So I am left with a few options...
A. Get a "disconnect tool" and try to attach the lines to the new fittings that came with the new radiator (not sure about this process, I have not worked with these fittings before).
B. Change the lines from tranny to match the new fittings?
C. No clue if I have an option 3?

Anyone had this experience?

Next issue - I let about a quart of tranny fluid hit the driveway - read some posts about topping it off - man, now I need a pump to get the fluid in - argggg

$19 for the oil line disconnect tool - worked like a charm... now to get some tranny fluid added :)

free transmission disconnect tool

i had the cheap napa disconnect set and it was not working on the transmission cooling lines. i didn't want to buy the OTC 307-569 or the OTC 6593 to disconnect my trans cooling lines from the radiator so i made a plastic sleeve out of a washer fluid bottle handle. it needs to be thick enough to push in and flexible enough to form into a cylinder. worked perfectly!! had the lines out in 30 seconds. hope this helps someone else. :chug:

this video shows a guy making one for a dodge ram, i made mine about an inch longer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SazJrWsZxNM

Do the fuel line disconnect tools work?

Back