Transmission cooler line to radiator question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission cooler line to radiator question?

NovaKane

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie
Hi,

I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me with a quick question?

I was wondering(95explorer 4.0 auto) what cooler line at the radiator cooler is the fluid coming to the cooler? Is it the top one or the bottome one? I am wanting to install and additionl cooler and wanting to send the fluid from the radiator cooler to the auxiliry cooler and then back to the tranny. I didn't want to start it up and squirt fluid all over and that is why I just came here to ask.

Thanks for the help,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't remember right off hand which one is the return line, but while you are putting in a cooler, do what I did. I had a tranny get completely chewed up, and finally tracked it down to a blockage of some sort in the radiator. I cut off the cooler lines and just ran two auxilliary trans coolers. It works great, and keeps everything nice and cool!

I don't remember which line is the return line on the auto trans on a 95. On a a4ld which was used up to 1994 it was the rear line.

You can test this yourself by disconnecting both lines up front, have someone start the truck for a couple seconds and see which line blows out the fluid. The other line is the return line :)

Also, Keep in mind, the transmission fluid heat exchanger in the radiator is not just a cooler. It also warms up the fluid. If your in a hot climate where the temp doesn't go below freezing you can usually get away with not running it through the heat exchanger. If your in an area that gets below freezing you will want it to go through the radiator and your trans coolers.

I am in southern Az and don't run it through the radiator but I can count the # of mornings it is below freezing here without taking off my shoes plus the X isn't a DD anymore so we did take it out of the radiator and are using 2 coolers and a 10" pusher fan.

Edit: According to this page.. its the top line. I haven't verified this information is correct so I would double check it too. http://www.txchange.com/cooler.htm

~Mark

Which port?

If you have the 5R55E transmission then the upper port on the transmission is the output and the lower port is the input. I believe it is the same for the 4 speed. There is no suction for the input port so if the lines are disconnected ATF will flow from both. However, if you measure the volume vs time there will be more than twice the flow from the upper port. Be careful when tracing the ATF lines because they switch from top to bottom before getting to the front of the vehicle.

The 5R55E is supposed to have thermostatic control of the external cooling loop. Since in the stock configuration the ATF is warmed as well as cooled by the radiator oil cooler it may be that the external loop is opened when the ATF temperature is low. However, I doubt it because in very cold weather the engine coolant thermostat stays mostly closed and the temperature of the coolant in the radiator is cool.

Hi,

I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me with a quick question?

I was wondering(95explorer 4.0 auto) what cooler line at the radiator cooler is the fluid coming to the cooler? Is it the top one or the bottome one? I am wanting to install and additionl cooler and wanting to send the fluid from the radiator cooler to the auxiliry cooler and then back to the tranny. I didn't want to start it up and squirt fluid all over and that is why I just came here to ask.

Thanks for the help,
Mike
What makes this topic confusing is whether we're talking about
the transmission or the radiator. At the radiator, the flow goes from
the top line, down through the radiator, and out the bottom line and
back to the transmission (or through an aux cooler).

I want to say that's always true for all makes and models, but
there's always that one exception to the rule somewhere.....:)

This is what I wanted to know, and I spun the engine over with the line disconnected at the radiator to verify the direction of flow. I finished up the install of the auxilary cooler too. So all is well, thanks!

This is correct for the 4.0 explorer but opposite in the 4R70W equipped Thunderbird. I wonder if its the same in the 5.0 explorer with the 4R70W trans.

Good post

Very helpful link as I left the "Y" pipe on my 95' explorer doing a trans change and I hand to leave the coolant lines on last to get them by the exhaust as I lowered the trans to be able to get to them to take them off, keep in mind I took them loose from the radiator and all mounts so they would slid down as I let the tranny down 4 inches or so. doing so kinda bent them as expected but they were allot easyer to remove this way than taking the pesky old rusted "Y" pipe off. So making sure they were going to the right port I seen this link and made the right decision.:);)

Thaxs again
Bill

Back