transmission cooling lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission cooling lines

yourmama

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger 4wd
cooling flow diagram - can anbody confirm this: flow comes out of the lower connection on the transmission, flows to the top connection on the radiator, comes out the lower connection on the radiator and enters the top connection on the auxillary cooler, comes out the bottom connection of the auxillary cooler and flows back to the transmission and enters on the top connection of the transmission. One of the lines rusted out and my son disconnected the lines on the tranny and now i'm not sure which one connects to the top and which one connects to the bottom. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

94 ranger xlt 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, on my 4r55e it appears the top line comin out of the tranny is the output. There's still a bunch of grass and such wedged in there but im pretty sure the top goes to the top of the radiator and the bottom goes to the bottom of the radiator. Once you get em hooked up you can easily disconnect the upper trans line on the radiator, stick a soda bottle on the end of the line to catch any fluid and have a friend fire it up. It will only take a second or two to see if you have it right

Check out these Ford DSM images - should be able to figure it out from these.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_16 May. 21 16.39.jpg
    ScreenHunter_16 May. 21 16.39.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 45,593
  • ScreenHunter_17 May. 21 16.39.gif
    ScreenHunter_17 May. 21 16.39.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 5,189

To clarify, technically it would work either direction. The point of orientation of the cooler and the lines is to avoid bubbles in the fluid. I'm a little too tired to figure out which way would be best right now.

This shows top line on the a4ld as being the return line.
http://www.txchange.com/cooler.htm

That is also how I remember it.

I don't remember which line it goes to on the radiator/heat exchanger though..

~Mark

Back