Transmission dipstick replacement and trans fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission dipstick replacement and trans fluid change

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I took my 2001 XLT V-6 4WD in for a tranny fluid change. It has 143K miles on the odometer and had the tranny fluid changed at 35K miles (per certified program) just before I took ownership.

I must admit, I'm not sure I'd ever checked the tranny fluid. It always seemed to shift pretty well. But I figured 108,000 miles was probably about time for a change.

The shop convinced me to NOT do a full flush - just drop pan, put in new filter, and fill as needed. Seems like the consensus is that a full flush can change viscosity and remove 'helpful' contaminants, so I went with that approach.

I was told that the tranny dipstick tube had a hole in it, preventing installation of new fluid, so I'm getting a new tube.

My question is, how much dirt, etc is likely to get into the fluid ? And how harmful ? (I have not yet seen the hole in the tube, so I realize this is pure speculation.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody knows the answers to such questions, but I can tell it worries you. Do something about it. First if it is dirty, a pan drop won't improve things that much. Do yourself and the mechanics a favor and put a drain plug in your pan, for a few extra bucks you can get the magnetic one. Next add a simple in line magnetic filter in your cooler return line. Now run for 5000 miles or so, drain the pan. Repeat in another 5K and you see it is now very easy to get clean fluid without a power flush, and any subsequent transmission service will be easier because of the drain. YMMV

That is very tempting. I think they already installed the pan, since they discovered the dipstick tube hole when trying to refill it.

I did not realize the pan was 'thick' enough to thread a drain plug into.

I assume they could drill/tap a hole for a drain plug, but some of the filings from making the hole would end up in the pan - over analyzing ?

Dave I wouldn't worry with the drain at this point. A few tack weld are required inside the pan...maybe next time.

Yeah, if they hadnt already put the pan on, I would have seriously considered this. With 143K miles, I'm not sure this will come up again, but its good to know its an option when the time comes with one of my other rigs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

the drain plugs i've seen have a nut that sandwiches the pan with gaskets on both sides. B&M offers one for around $7. you can see a pic on Summit Racing's web site. if you drill the hole with a step drill you get a perfect hole. just be sure there's nothing that will be in the way. they make for much neater oil changes.

Your engine must be the SOHC v-6 .. the Filler tube ( dipstick tube) rots out on them. I wouldn't mess around, put the new filler tube on..it's even an easy fix ( 1 bolt) I simply wrapped my filler tube with rubber hose and put some gear clamps around it and it worked fine but that truck is gone now regardless. These 5r55e trannies are built to fail so take every precaution to not give it a reason to. This is the reason I bought a 5spd manual explorer. 1 auto trans dying on me is 1 too many.

Back