Transmission Electrical Issue

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
After 2 attempts at this from a master mechanic, and myself, I am turning to you all here on the EF.
--Anyway... My 98 Explorer with a 5R55E has been having an on going issue for the past month. Every so often the transmission circuit will short out throwing codes for the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid and the Shift Pressure Solenoid.
--Now the ECU was "claimed" to be faulty about 3 months ago so a technician tore it all apart testing circuits and everything. Turns out that wasn't the case and he reassembled it and everything was good up to now. Now, right as the mechanic was done checking things over, all of a sudden the CEL turned off and the transmission acted as normal.
--I never had this issue before the ECU was torn apart, so I am wondering if the short is in the ecu or this is just a fluke and there is a short within the harness to the transmission.
--I don't want to buy an ecu to find out that isn't it. If anyone has had any experience with something similar, let me know. I don't want to sell my 98 Explorer but if no one can figure it out, she'll go.

Thanks,
Nate

To admin; I didn't feel like this is necessarily a transmission issue and that is why I did not post it in there.

I'm going to second Ricks suggestion.

Drop the pan and check the harness inside the transmission for damage, and make sure the TCC solenoid is bolted securely to the valve body.

If you can borrow a scan tool and hook it up and drive it to observe any transient information the computer is sending/receiving.

I've talked with some people at my shop, and we're inclined to believe its in within the harness. I've been doing some teardown in the engine bay and not too happy with what I've found so far. Someone went in and spliced in some ground wire with zero insulation. The wire follows the pink/blue wire. I'm going to take the intake plenum off tomorrow to figure out if it relates to that wire or if it just follows it for the hell of it. Now if I don't find anything there, I'm going to drop the pan and start looking into there. But its odd that it shows a code for both and its a short...but never neglect any kind of a lead from anyone.

Thanks for the help so far! Lets see where tomorrow will take this.

Back