• Register Today It's free!

Transmission failure!

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
Well, my fun with this vehicle continues.

Our '11 Limited AWD with ~80,000 miles just dumped the transmission fluid all over the street and driveway. Fortunately I was at home and not 4 hours away dropping my daughter off at school when it went. Unfortunately this is the umpteenth problem with this vehicle. Man, I wish Ford was a stand-up, good company that would say, "Hey, you got a bad deal and we sold you a terrible vehicle, let us fix this one for you to make it at least a little less rotten." Yeah, right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found the source of the leak.
Oy9DDahgX0Ms6H-X3GpW_MHvN9QJF8dNrtri2ZhIS7jy0MyuvcQxsveU6bWhbQJ7uX_HQk4lOYfoccEkV9cNN3JdkebHULknEGgtq1fUeOa33MEDWyKbcmMxxE1gmiMmsVc4pHRl0i2dZLbdQQGyp3ywyODPxVNem2l66k-vAPTj_6RCHh1MisKG1sUnnkfPxyyR4mBEQdAnkNI4N86bt48Zb0KFU1E8Xrch780-tzIYC2BLdt65IjiSMwrhed5fE2XTJzvrEjPIDCKwYUlRAdOHCbMwOk-ikYEJam1FJcoEj9ydr9i-Ybsn_rQFFvXdS5XQMxKIIMiddQrUHF3azgCKciC8v-_IhlFieKO-s7VsYxfrGho9FqZi3zkrILnFfIV_9hiKDimg1Mfi14tX12W5fOq5aw2Gyg08dQqqr3vrOR-_CYrSPaWZo02luvFBe9xj3U55idrEjohgv55uLUHyDE6R0YKk8AQA3LB53NLg2OEQBRM-UW-WsZtytuToxoiBHibKCmAl617qoBuIrXFUcFyafb30le3nIv3RpdgDkYdpCNj1ccYVjxdkp3yPoPpPEOCBsX31qyz_v4ttJAK7VvyBuYqEb-vyuJwSUpjOdDlPSG7J=w1478-h1108-no

It appears the screw-in fitting into the block failed. Fittings aren't sold separately but the block thing is only ~$35. Hopefully an easy fix...
AF1QipOgmtuyMR8ehrfYTUT7pKP9mWJLLikOURrUwDjt
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipOgmtuyMR8ehrfYTUT7pKP9mWJLLikOURrUwDjt

I just replaced the part, easily accomplished from the top of the vehicle after removing the airbox assemblies. Note that two of the transmission lines require a special tool in order to remove them. I didn't have the tool and the air conditioner line tools don't fit so I used pieces of plastic from a thick Gatorade bottle, cut in to ~1/2" wide shims and pressed in around the fitting. Not fast but successful. Also of note: total capacity of fluid lost was around 5 quarts of Mercon LV. I overfilled a bit and had to drain some off, didn't measure how much I pulled to give an accurate total amount.

To aid anyone with this issue in the future: Ford By-Pass Valve Automatic Transmission By-Pass Valve assembly (Ford Part #BT4Z-7H322-B)

The block of wood prevented the valve from rotating when I was removing the threaded lines from the top
A cheap water bottle can be cut into the tool needed- the "nicer" bottles are too thick and don't have the flex needed. The blue one was too thick. The plastic strips actually worked a bit better than the water bottle "tool" , for me.
AF1QipO4Y42cEqLl8xwPMkhKOklRnSeq6Sv5n72iD66l
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipO4Y42cEqLl8xwPMkhKOklRnSeq6Sv5n72iD66l https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipNOv20SfxX5ZTbLJEj-6sg9jqiUltcGM0rFTupu https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipPNxRD8TwiQzBUkhop9Hw8bJ61olLYlS5jmc43n
AF1QipPNxRD8TwiQzBUkhop9Hw8bJ61olLYlS5jmc43n

Randy, all your Google links require a Google account sign in. When I use my Google email address and password all I get is;

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Glad to hear it was a cheap fix for something that could have turned much worse.

Thanks for letting me know the link wasn't working.

Yeah, I am glad it was an easy one too. And odd. That just doesn't look like a part that should fail the way it did.

A note to anyone removing their transmission dipstick- be sure to clean all around it first, including the underside of the cap. Mine had a LOT of gunk, probably from my A/C compressor failure, on the underside and that is not something you want falling into the transmission.

Hello, I have to replace this bypass valve. Can someone show my the tool to remove the lines? The pictures above are not showing up. Thanks!

We
Hello, I have to replace this bypass valve. Can someone show my the tool to remove the lines? The pictures above are not showing up. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum Jeremy.:wave:
I sent RandyH2 a PM to see if he can repost the pictures. That's assuming he is still around. Part of the problem with posting pictures is that when you use 3rd party sites, pictures often disappear. For $20 anyone can currently get a 2 year Elite Explorer membership and upload photos directly from their device and they are saved on the Forum's servers. Good luck.

Peter

Back