Transmission Fluid And Filter Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid And Filter Change

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
I'm going to change the trany fluid and filter and I’m looking for how to write. I search and search and found tons of results but none answer my questions, I think my search skills are bad :dunno:
I’m looking for how to do it, what’s the best Mercon V brand to buy and how much fluid I need to buy. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read this;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

Basically you need 1/8" fitting (I use a 2" nipple) and a pump to put the fluid back in.

As for fluid I use Mobile 1, I have found it to be as good or better as anything else on the market, I am sure others will disagree LOL

Oh I get 10 quarts I use 6 to 8 on the tranny and use the rest to change the transfer case.

Use care on the bolts. I changed out the filter and fluid in 06' Mointaineer earlier this year and snapped off the fill bolt and a pan bolt. This was with a torque wrench set to the correct settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I was thinking to add Lucas Automatic Transmission Fluid Conditioner. I don’t have any problems with the transmission. Is it a good product or not?

I was thinking to add Lucas Automatic Transmission Fluid Conditioner. I don’t have any problems with the transmission. Is it a good product or not?
It is good stuff, but it is a lot thicker than the transmission fluid so it is best to add it to an already warm transmission.

So glad I have a deep pan with dipstick for filling and I replaced that fill mess with one big ass bolt for draining only since its no longer correct (dipstick is spot on)
even shop that installed it said " ill be damned that was the easiest explorer I've ever done"

for the record, the trans calls for mercon V and the xcase is regular mercon.... There is a difference...

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/27748/ford_announces_new_replacement_specs_for_mercon_atf.aspx

DEARBORN, MI – Ford Customer Service Division (FCSD) has announced MERCON V as the replacement for MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

Effective July 1, the production and licensing for MERCON will cease. Automatic transmissions, power steering systems and manual transmissions previously requiring MERCON must, as of July 1, be serviced with MERCON V.

"All transmissions which recommended using MERCON ATF can now be serviced with MERCON V,” said Ron Romano, FCSD Service Lubricants Technical Expert. “MERCON V is a tighter specification which delivers better anti-oxidation, anti-wear and anti-shudder properties. It also provides increased protection against deposits, rust and corrosion. All of this helps ensure customers receive a better fluid,” said Romano.

All automotive repair professionals are encouraged to make the necessary preparations with customers to ensure a seamless transition to the appropriate fluids once MERCON is discontinued. FCSD does not recommend the use of any products that claim to be the equivalent of MERCON.

Now ford does say you should use their tansx fluid (they also say you should only use their mercon V) and if you want to then great knock yourself out but since 2007 mercon V has been the replacement for mercon.

Thank you for the information!!

I was planning on buying the Motorcraft transmission filter kit from O’rilley but they don’t carry it in the store. What other brand you recommend and do I need to replace the gasket? Thanks.

Thank you for the information!!

I was planning on buying the Motorcraft transmission filter kit from O’rilley but they don’t carry it in the store. What other brand you recommend and do I need to replace the gasket? Thanks.

Any Mercon V will be fine. The gasket is reusable, as long as you do not do anything horrible to mangle it.

Were i can find instruction on how to install the filter that have torque numbers and if necessary the bolt torque sequence?

If I remember correctly I torqued a 2006 Mountaineer bolts to 120.

Edit: To clarify that is inch/lbs.

thanks for the clarification!..lol

Sorry for digging up an old thread but didnt want to start a new one. i plan on doing the same mod to my 02 limited explorer as we are now using it more often to tow the bike trailer. The links for the tranny cooler and remote oil filter arnt working now for my computer are they for anyone else. If its because the item is no longer available has anyone else got a link to th parts needed(want a b&m cooler). where do you get the adapter for the remote oil filter?

Somewhere that will post to aus!

Sorry wrong thread plz delete someone

Back