Transmission Fluid Change/Spark Plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid Change/Spark Plugs

jagarundi

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD
Alright, here's the deal. I have a 98 XLT AWD. I've had this truck going on 3 years. I purchased it with 42k on it and it now has 100303k on the bad boy. During this time, I have NOT changed the spark plugs or really change the tranny fluid. I had a tranny fluid line rot on it last year so fluid was leaking and being replaced frequently. I've since repaired the line and no more leaks. My question is, what should be the normal tranny fluid schedule on these trucks? Once a year? Once every 18 months? What? The same goes for the spark plugs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It all depends upon how hard you drive it. A 15,000 mile interval should be sufficient for ATF (maybe a little more for synthetic). If you have a remote transmission filter, you could probably get a little more mileage out of it. If you do a lot of off roading, and go into sand, mud, rocks, and tow heavy stuff, then you should do it twice as much as normal. It is also a good idea to have an auxillary transmission cooler to keep the fluid at a low temperature. I have a transmission longevity chart in my signature if you want to see some comparisons.

Well, I only drive it in the city and to Jersey every now and then. I used to drive it back and forth to work in Hauppauge and then Garden City but not anymore. I do think it's time for a tranny fluid and spark plug change though.

I've just noticed that you also live in Brooklyn. With all of the pot holes, and stop, and go driving here, it is a good idea to replace your fluid at about 10,000 miles. Here is the chart that was just mentioned:
Dead Link Removed

The owner's manual sez -
30k for Tranny fluid. I follow that but w/ synth
100k for the plugs. Mine is @ 60k and as long as she runs like she does now (great) I see no reason to change the plugs until 100k.

Well I guess that means this weekend, I'll be changing the tranny fluid. The spark plugs can stay as long as the 'Red Dragon' runs as he does now. If it ain't broke, I won't fix it.

I don't think I have quite the severe driving conditions yous guys have.
But still 10k w/ a high quality Synth seems to me a little overkill.

Changing tranny fluid at 10k intervals is a waste of ATF. 30k is more resonable; I go 50k with Amsoil synthetic ATF.

When you change it, be sure to do a flush. Its simple and you can do in the driveway in about 15-20 minutes.

Good luck ....

10K with synthetic is overkill. I was referring to regular fluid. The synthetic should last a little longer (maybe 15k around here). If you have a mix of highway, and city driving on synthetic, maybe then 20K.

Regardless, if you haven't changed it since you got it @42k and it now has over 100k, it's time to change it out.
The 4r70w is a very robust tranny but you still want to change the fluid out. The method that Al speaks of is a good one. I used it last week and it was a breeze as soon as I found the right cooler line. :confused:

BrooklynBay said:
10K with synthetic is overkill. I was referring to regular fluid. The synthetic should last a little longer (maybe 15k around here). If you have a mix of highway, and city driving on synthetic, maybe then 20K.

If you look at UOA data for ATF, you will see those intervals are a waste of ATF.

Some people actually think OCIs should be 3k miles.

The times they are a changing ....

302Xplorer said:
Regardless, if you haven't changed it since you got it @42k and it now has over 100k, it's time to change it out.

Amen.

aldive said:
Changing tranny fluid at 10k intervals is a waste of ATF. 30k is more resonable; I go 50k with Amsoil synthetic ATF.

When you change it, be sure to do a flush. Its simple and you can do in the driveway in about 15-20 minutes.

Good luck ....

Oh, I plan to do it myself. I think I'll set up a schedule of 50k miles. I don't feel anything that would suggest I increase the frequency of changes.

Hey Al,
I noticed you had a review of LC20.
Are you planning on running any in your transmission fluid?

302Xplorer said:
Hey Al,
I noticed you had a review of LC20.
Are you planning on running any in your transmission fluid?

No, I have never experenced any tranny woes in any vehicle I have owned. I always use synthetic ATF.

aldive said:
No, I have never experenced any tranny woes in any vehicle I have owned. I always use synthetic ATF.

I thought about it too and decided synth fluid was prob. good enough by itself.
I have it in the oil of both my vehicles, I'm interested to see my UOAs after a good run of it.

302Xplorer said:
have it in the oil of both my vehicles, I'm interested to see my UOAs after a good run of it.

I am awaiting enough miles to accumulate to perform a UOA; I too am anxious to see the data.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also Living in Brooklyn aswell I would suggest changing mercon v fluid every year. I do not have the same transmission as you but I have had my tranny issues and I have found changing fluid before its due helps A Lot!!, Good luck, btw what area of BK are you in?

Back