• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid in engine

rustyboltz

Reaction score
City, State
Paola, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 X Sport 2001 Mount
I have a 93 4.0 auto and was having a rough idle with it. I was doing some general maintenance on it and disconnected a vacuum line at the engine and it had a lot of tranny fluid in the vacuum line. The line goes down the side of the engine on the passenger side and disappears. I have tried to find it but could not locate it under the vehicle. Where does it go? Does this tranny have a modulator valve on it? I would like to correct this problem but cannot fine the line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the vacuum accumulator on top of the trans?

That vac line go's to the vacuum modulator on the tranny.

It is a bit hidden behind a plate. But it runs down the tranny then changes from the metal line to a rubber hose.

Most likely it has a hole in the diaphragm.

if that is the case the easiest way I have found to change them is to pull the carpet back in the front then remove the tranny hump panel and go at it threw there . Going at it from under the truck is a real PIA! Believe me.
any way thats how it is on my 93 XLT with the A4ld tranny

The modulator is located on the passenger's side of the transmission behind the two servos.

thanks BrooklynBay I kind of forgot that part LOL.

I read the sticky in the transmission forum about how to do it and spent the morning taking out everything in the cab and rolling back the carpet and taking off the plate on the hump. I have found it and it sure does look like it will be a hassle to replace. I tried to take the nut off the heat shield to make more room but is having a problem getting my fat hand in there. I was laying under the truck thinking that my exhaust system is in need of replacing and was thinking about taking out the cat converters and then replacing them. Do you think that would be easier?

The vacuum modulators on the A4LD were (and still are) pretty notorious for failing and sucking ATF up through the vacuum line and into the vacuum tree on the intake manifold which in turn would cause a rich / lean condition. You might want to check any caps you have as well as the other vacuum lines on the tree to make sure that haven't swelled or become damaged / deformed due to the ATF as well.

Back