Solved - Transmission fluid is leaking but is not visible. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission fluid is leaking but is not visible.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

VA7LFD

Reaction score
City, State
Langley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Edition Expl
I have a 1994 Explorer LE I have a problem with losing transmission fluid somewhere but cannot locate it. There is not a single drop visible on the ground. I have but a cardboard below the engine and transmission and cannot locate a single drop. But everytime my level goes down and I have to add some Mercon about a quart every week. There is no visible signs of leakage anywhere. Can I be losing fluid when I am driving? I have 371,x.. km on the car. I am just stumped...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1994 Explorer LE I have a problem with losing transmission fluid somewhere but cannot locate it. There is not a single drop visible on the ground. I have but a cardboard below the engine and transmission and cannot locate a single drop. But everytime my level goes down and I have to add some Mercon about a quart every week. There is no visible signs of leakage anywhere. Can I be losing fluid when I am driving? I have 371,x.. km on the car. I am just stumped...
Sorry correction about a quarter of a quart every week. Not the whole container but a quarter of it..

when do you notice the fluid loss? if its when you first shift to drive, and you have to rev the engine a bit before it drops into gear, its the vacuum modulator that is failing. same thing happened to me. one easy way to check is to pull the vacuum hose and see if its soaked inside.

Also check your cooling system. If the transmission oil cooler in the radiator malfunctions it can leak transmission fluid under pressure into the engine coolant. But, as above stated, check the vacuum modulator first. I have had vacuum modulators leak transmission fluid into the intake manifold before in large enough quantities to emit plumes of whitish smoke out the exhaust pipe.

Another thing to look at is your transfer case level. Trans fluid leaking into transfer case has been known to happen. That would also explain why you don't see it leaking on the ground.

Absolutely confirmed the problem. It's my modulator. As soon as I pulled a vacuum hose from the top of the engine I noticed the red tranny oil. Now next question is this something I can tackle my self to repair with basic sockets, wrenches etc? Do I need to take other things apart to access the modulator? I am so happy with the help of everyone on this thread that I found out the problem. Are there any photos or images that I can look at to make life easier in replacing this part?

Glad you found it, the modulator is easy to replace.
When you get the new one take note if it is adjustable or not. If its adjustable pay attention to how it adjusts, read the directions.

Behind the modulator there will be a rod that the modulator actuates, don't lose track of it. Get under there & take a look.......simple job, you can do it.

I did it from below, I had to use an inspection mirror to see everything properly. Try not to lose the pin if you can help it

Hold a magnet under the modulator when you remove & install a new one to catch the pin just in case it falls out. A drop of Vaseline could hold the pin in place in the new modulator during installation.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me solve the problem with my transmission on my 94 Limited Edition. I replaced the modulator, installed new filter and fluid. Absolutely runs great. When I installed modulator the new one was slightly different than the old one. New one had a fixed set screw which I did not touch at all. Here are some photos of my install.....Photos can be shared to help others....Also have a video which I will post online.....Again thank you to everyone. Up here in Vancouver BC this would of been a $800 repair. LOL!

20190521_171856.jpg

20190521_163334.jpg

20190521_163423.jpg

20190521_163450.jpg

20190521_171836.jpg

20190521_171844.jpg

20190521_171939.jpg

20190521_174328.jpg

20190521_174408.jpg

20190521_174748(0).jpg

Back