• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid Recommendation

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
I have a 1993 EB with automatic transmission. bought new, have keep the transmission fluid changed by the dealer and have not had any transmission problems. Now I would like to make a complete fluid change, replacing all the fluid. My truck has 101K. Would Mobil 1 synthetic fluid cause problems or should I stick with conventional fluid?MikeTEC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by MikeTEC
I have a 1993 EB with automatic transmission. bought new, have keep the transmission fluid changed by the dealer and have not had any transmission problems. Now I would like to make a complete fluid change, replacing all the fluid. My truck has 101K. Would Mobil 1 synthetic fluid cause problems or should I stick with conventional fluid?MikeTEC

I did a complete change in tranny fluid to Mobil 1 at 37k miles. No problems at all. Did not notice any difference in shifts, etc, however, the fuel milage did increase.

Good luck with your change.

i changed to b&m trickshift @ 80000 miles. freed up a couple horse. i can easily diagnose it too the color of it is BLUE.. :)

My main concern was switching to synthetic at high milage might cause leaks or loosen up things which might cause malfunctions. Anyone swithched to a synthetic at over 100k in 91-94 models? Would be interested in your opinion also. Thanks MikeTEC

I wouldn't think that switching the transmission fluid would cause leaking problems. It's different than changing to synthetic engine oil. On higher mileage engines, sludge can build up and kind of 'fill in' small holes and stop them from leaking. Switching to a synthetic (which have strong detergents in them) cleans away that sludge and opens up those holes which can cause leaks. Your transmission should not have'sludge' in it to be filling in small holes, and the synthetic fluid should not have strong detergents that would clean it anyways.
And don't worry about loosening stuff up if you're having it flushed. Doing that should flush out all the mess to begin with. Shouldn't be that much stuff in there anyways.

Back