Jefe's SAS | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's SAS

Everyone else has a SAS thread in here, so I figured that instead of being jealous, I'd just start my own :)

I've been planning this for a few months now, and the parts are now starting to collect.

The plan is to buy a TJ D30 front axle to use for sizing and testing purposes, and replace it with a custom HP D44 with a bunch of goodies as the project nears completion.

I will be using Rubicon Express TJ long arms. These are 36" long, and convert the TJ 4 link to a radius arm design. 36" back from the front axle lands the rear mounts right where the torsion bar currently mounts, and the TJ and Ex frame are the same width at that location, so it should make for a great bracket location.

I plan to run 2" remote res. coilovers. I won't decide how much travel they need until I've got the axle temp'd under and see amount of flex, ride height, etc. No point in shoving a 14" travel C/O WAY up into the engine bay if its not going to do me any more good than a 10" or a 12".

I will convert the steering pump and gearbox over to a 1st gen explorer setup. I am hoping that the TJ track bar and steering will work, but will have that custom made if it doesn't.

I'm hoping for about 6" of lift, but may have to settle for more depending on a few things. I'll do a SOA conversion in the rear, along with custom leaves to match front ride height. I will be taking out the 3" BL as one of the first steps.

I plan to start actual work on the project about halfway into April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That does look a lot cleaner. Do you always take your truck up to the hills to do your photoshoots? :D You could have at least washed it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by section525
That does look a lot cleaner. Do you always take your truck up to the hills to do your photoshoots? :D You could have at least washed it.
How else am I gonna test out my handywork? :D

It does need a washing. . but seeing as how its 100 outside, it doesn't do much good to spray it with water.

Can't wait to see her with the new front done! Keep us updated!

wow...so basically you are running 35s with a TT?

His fenders are cut

Originally posted by Yomie
His fenders are cut

Are the inner fenders even existant?

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
wow...so basically you are running 35s with a TT?
Yup, 35's with a 2-3" TT :D Rubs a bit on the bumper at full lock, but otherwise its great.

Originally posted by IAmTodd
Are the inner fenders even existant?
the upper portion is still in place. You can see how much is cut here: Dead Link Removed

Going for that street rod, ass up look?? When you are done are you still going to need the shackels?

When I went spring over on the rear of my Explorer, even with the six inch Skyjacker coils up front, it was a little butt up. Had to put coil spacers in the front to make it level, even with that big rear bumper I have.

Happy 4th of July

My truck is feeling a little less independent for independence day :D

7-5_1.jpg

7-5_4.jpg

Final test fitting (axle is 3" lower than it will end up being [IFS bracketry is in way] ):

7-5_5.jpg

Flex from 14" of coilover travel:

7-5_16.jpg

7-5_14.jpg

Gonna need a longer driveshaft:

7-5_13.jpg

Now that I've seen everything I need to work on, the IFS goes back on.

Actuall deconstruction and construction will start sometime around August 9th.

Hell yeah!

But what!? Its going back to IFS?? Jefe.. take a vacation from whatever and work on this baby! :D

I can't wait to see this thing... :cool:

Dude, you got some serious work ahead of you. Section is right, you need some time off just to work on this project.

What could be more American than doing a solid axle swap on a American SUV on Independence Day???

Originally posted by BKennedy
What could be more American than doing a solid axle swap on a American SUV on Independence Day???
Drinking American Beer while doing it!:chug:

That looks BADA$$ Jefe!!!:)

Jefe is that the D44 from the rubicon in those pictures? I wasn't sure what you were doing with that, but are you going to use it on your swap?

Originally posted by JoshC
Jefe is that the D44 from the rubicon in those pictures? I wasn't sure what you were doing with that, but are you going to use it on your swap?
That is the Rubicon D44 housing. However I am still not sure I'm going to use it. I'll be running a TJ D30 for a while after the swap (in 2wd), and then either lock and gear the Rubicon housing, or order a custom axle.

I'm not too fond of the Rubicon housing since it is still the D30 axle with the exception of the diff, so 35's would be pushing it. I've also heard that it doesn't take normal D44 gears, just like the TJ D30 doesn't take normal D30 gears, but I haven't confirmed that.
Plus figure that by the time i throw alloy axles, the 5x5.5 manual hub conversion, gears and a locker into it, it'll cost as much as a custom axle.

D44 Rubicon axle

Originally posted by Jefe
That is the Rubicon D44 housing. However I am still not sure I'm going to use it.
Ah well, I'm sure you can find SOMEBODY to take that nasty J**p axle off your hands. :D

(Do I get a freight discount since it was sitting in my garage for a while?)

Any updates? It's been a while and I'm looking forward to seeing this thing.

Originally posted by TravisC
Any updates? It's been a while and I'm looking forward to seeing this thing.
Just ordered the Coil-overs yesterday, so it will start very soon, hopefully :rolleyes:

Back