• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Flush

Jerrym

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbine, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddy Baur
I have a question about Automatic Transmission Flush. I took my 2000 Explorer in to have the transmission fliud changed. On my bill for $120.00 it said (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUSH WITH USING MACHINE). I notice the pan has never been removed. I thought the pan has to be removed to change the filter in the transmission.

The following is what was put on my bill:

Installed TFUSH : TRANS FLUSH
Installed 106 :QUICK - CLEAN
Installed 310 :ATC+ TRANS COND
Installed FXT5QM :MERCON 5
Sub Total: Labor: 60.00 Parts: 60.00 Total 120.00

Is this something new in changing the transmission fliud and can it be done without removing the pan?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a transmission flush is what they did. A transmission SERVICE is when you remove the pan and change the filter. Removing the pan does NOT remove all the fluid - just 5 quarts of the about 15 the whole transmission holds.

-Drew

a transmission flush is what they did. A transmission SERVICE is when you remove the pan and change the filter. Removing the pan does NOT remove all the fluid - just 5 quarts of the about 15 the whole transmission holds.

-Drew

Is this as good as removing the pan and changing the filter? Should I really go a head and do that also? The vehicle only has 39,000 miles on it.

Your filter is probably ok. I'd not fret at this point. In about 30,000 miles I'd drop the pan and replace my filter and put in several quarts of the cheapest Mercom fluid you can find and drive it to the flush place. The cheap merc III won't hurt anything during the brief time it is in your tranny and will soon be flushed out anyway once you make the short drive to the flush place. AND you will have a fresh filter.

Service Intervals:

A Transmission Flush - every 30K miles
A Transmission Service (Filter) - every 60K Miles

-Drew

I'd recommend getting it flushed again in 30K, then do the filter change. Don't flush dirty fluid through a new filter

Service Intervals:

A Transmission Flush - every 30K miles
A Transmission Service (Filter) - every 60K Miles

-Drew

I'd recommend getting it flushed again in 30K, then do the filter change. Don't flush dirty fluid through a new filter

Good point... on a flush what path does the fluid follow? The trans pump takes the fluid thru the filter on the intake side... so the flush would not add more to the filter than the short drive would... but either way the idea of a pristine filter is a nice one..... and probably a way better idea than my lame one.

Woodbine, Iowa

I'm in Iowa too.... where is Woodbine?

I see you are from Ames. I am about 135 miles west of you on Hiway 30. I am just 30 miles west of Denison.

It flows inline with the transmission pressure. You hook up the machine there theres a switch that says "Check Flow" and you see through a sight glass if its moving the right way (theres a ball inside there), then you switch it to Pressure Exchange and let it go.

Two lines hooked up at one dislocated point (i.e. disconnecting the line from the rad.). One line on the metal line and one into the radiator.

-Drew

Harbor Freight sells a machine like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93019
93019.gif

it's all essentially the same thing. We use a BG machine. The little sight glass on the left hand side of the machine above it where you check the flow

-Drew

Back