Transmission gone?

gadourym

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT V6
Hi All,

Yesterday, while on my way home from work, about a half mile from home, my 2000 Explorer suddenly lost most of its power, and I barely could get it home. When in park/neutral, it was running fine, but ran very rough (almost stalling) when I tried to move it and it really didn't want to move at all.

I let it sit overnight and I checked it this morning. I started it up and let it run to get up to temp. Still almost stalling when I put it in gear, and no transmission fluid on the dipstick. I put 2 quarts of fluid in, and the dipstick reads at the high end of the normal range. Now, it doesn't hesitate at all when I put it in gear, but it still doesn't want to move very well. I tried going up and down the driveway some, and reverse is rough but slightly better than forward.

The check engine light is on with the following codes:
• P1747 – ELECTRONIC PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID
• P0743 – TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH SELENOID ELECTRICAL
• P0750 – SHIFT SELENOID A MALFUNCTION
• P0755 – SHIFT SELENOID B MALFUNCTION
• P0760 – SHIFT SELENOID C MALFUNCTION
• P0765 – SHIFT SELENOID D MALFUNCTION
• P1451 EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM CANISTER VENT SELENOIC CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
• P0135 OXYGEN SENSOR HEATER BANK 1 SENSOR 1
• P0155 OCYGEN SENSOR HEATER BANK 2 SENSOR 1

Would clearing the codes make any difference? Also, we did have a significant rain storm which I needed to drive through the other night, with some street flooding. Nothing more than a few inches deep, but there was a lot of water. Is is possible something electrical went wrong? It did run fine for a couple of days after this though.

I have 185,000 miles on the truck, and I don't know if it's worth investing a lot of money into something 12 years old and with that many miles, or if I should just cut my losses and invest in something newer. As much as I love driving it, this truck has a history of one issue after another, and I'm already several thousand dollars into it.

I really appreciate this forum, it has helped me out quite a bit in the past! I'm not an expert, but I do try to help out where I can!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds to me like u have major elec, electronic issues with computer plus that low fluid thing would worry me,, what color, smell is tyour tranny fluid,,

I didn't notice a smell. The fluid is dark red. It probably isn't a bad idea to have it looked at, but I'll have to have it towed. Electrical issues might not be as expensive as replacing the transmission, depending on what the problem is.

The trans in my 98 Explorer failed at 145K miles. A guy at a small local shop whom I trust implicitly said that he could rebuild it better than a crate trans. I've got 91K on his rebuild and it's running incredible, and it cost less than a crate trans because he replaced only the parts that were shot. Of course, I have him service it every year.

I would definitely check the wiring for the transmission. And then you may need to replace the pre-cat O2 sensors. The EVAP should be diagnosed also, but that is obviously the least of your worries, and often does not affect driveability.

Back