Transmission issues: Any thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issues: Any thoughts?

billb1981

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Hey guys/gals, was hoping to get some advice on a couple of issues.

I've got a 2002 Explorer, XLT V8, with 120,000 on it. I'm starting to get some transmission issues, even had a mechanic say I need a new transmission, but I'm not sold on that yet.

I read the TSB on the filter that can cause a noise at startup when cold, and took my vehicle over to ford to get the transmission fluid/filter changed. They said since they are sealed they don't touch them until 150,000. If I was having transmission problems, I should make an appt with the transmission guys, (so what spend $149 just for them to tell me to spend the $169 to get it changed?)

In addition, I now have a slip from 2nd to 3rd gear ONLY WHEN COLD.

My initial thought it to change the fluid and filter first, and see if that might fix my problem. Part of me is thinking I could do it myself, or just go into ford and tell them to do it anyway.

Anyone have thoughts on that? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you got a tranny place somewhere local go in and tell them you want a flush and service. make sure it includes a filter change. tranny place by me was 150 for a FULL service on it. those trannys are sealed so its alot more work than people think. i bought fliud to do it myself and for fluid and filter it was about 100 bucks. so i took it back and just going to get it done for 50 bucks more. if you do a full flush it takes at least 16QTs of oil. thats about 70 bucks alone. and you need special tools to do it. cuz fliud has to be pumped IN throw the DRIAN plug.

will with 120,000mi on the original transmission??? If it wasn't rebuilt already its about the end of its life, new fluid will only be a band aid solution. Rebuilds are about 1600 to 2000. One of the problems with these is the aluminum case and the steel servo pistons. They grind out the bore holes and prevent the pressure building up correctly. Only real way to fix it is to rebuild it. But by all means try the simiple things first

Thanks for the responses. Just for reference, I was given a quote by certified transmission for $2700. Ouchie. I'm trying to figure out if there are any other transmission places in Kansas City that could do this cheaper, but still offer a warranty.

yea, not cheap min was only $1600 but - let me guess you dont have 5 pages of transmission shops in the yellow pages either,
my dealer wanted $3200 for a reman. with those many miles i wouldnt be surprised if the case was toast too. as a suggestion check the web for transmission rebuild shipping 150-200 and they will want the core back . . .i don't know these guys from Adam . . .but only $1600 if you can install yourself . . ?????
http://www.automotix.net/transmissions/2004-ford-explorer-automatic_transmissions-5r55s.html

Yeah those are some good points, I will be sure to look into that. Right now I have a bad wheel bearing (or so I've been told by a local shop) going to take to ford to fix they want $200 less to fix it, (now that's odd)

Guess I'll address the transmission next

Back