• Register Today It's free!

transmission noise.

alias2

Reaction score
City, State
King City, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
so, my tranny started to make a noise. i believe its a A4LD. i have a 91 xlt. but i believe the trans was either rebuilt or replaced. seein how when i swapped the motor, inside the bell housing it had paint marker. but it was just a name and date.

anyways, i was sittin in reverse for about a minute waiting to get out of a parking spot, and it started making kinda a chaffing/light chatter.

then, it decided to kinda jump when i backed outta my spot at work for a second. both times, i put it in neutral and then back in reverse it was fine. no noise...

then i came to a red light and after a lil over a minute or so, it started doin it in drive... then i put it in neutral and back in drive and no noise...

then i got home, started doing it again when i stopped.

i checked the fluid, still full, still pink.

i wanna rebuild it, and found rebuild kits. but none with gears. where can i get gears? i cant find them anywhere online.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...N-ittjlZ6o2i0?itemIdentifier=966253_195209_0_

i am in need of motor mounts and possibly a tranny mount, since i met a tree at high speed in reverse. like hard enough to bend my frame, bumper, hatch, rear floor/body.

since then, its been stubborn. some days it struggles to get to 3k on the tach and is a turd, and doesn't like getting into over drive.

other days/times, it will easily run up to 4k-5k.

im on 35" all terrains, and 3.55 gears in the diffs. and also my transfer-case is whining pretty bad when in 4wd since then. i think it my tranny shifted when i wrecked it, because the plug that goes from the transfer-case into the floor board, the grommet was plugged into the floor before, and after that it wouldnt even reach until i unclipped it from the case.

Back