• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Problem

midnighttoker79

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0 Limited, last week the transmission started getting very high rpms and i could feel it slipping and screwing up. Turns out there was hardly any tranny fluid and there was also a broken transmission line.. patched that up and it was running and shifting smoothly for a few days till yesterday when it felt sluggish again and there are no leaks, and there's a good amount of tranny fluid in it, tryin to move it in drive the rpms go into the high 4 and 5s, the car only reverses... can somone please help me?

My Transmission is a 4R70W produceds for 5.0's for 1996-1999

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your tranny needs a rebuild

probably burned the pump up or at the very least burned up the friction plates from lack of engagement... sounds like you need a rebuild.

I'll have to admit this one does not sound good. That's a pretty stout transmission, and not prone to a lot of valve body issues. I am afraid I tend to also think you are due for a teardown my friend.

Teardown... doesnt sound good, thats gonna cost me :(

Think

Think of all the stuff you're gonna learn though.............and I bet you don't let the fluid get old again.......

Back