Solved - Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission servo piston shaft broke in the bore.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Shtiv

Reaction score
City, State
Bothell, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hi guys,
To leave out a long story I was replacing servo bores, but had to remove the new ones because of a problem. So while trying to remove the piston broke its tip in the bore. I believe I have bought every tool imaginable to get the thing out. Due to the tight space and the exhaust in the way I cannot get my drill in to try and use screw extractors. Not sure why its so tight in there, but it is. Any ideas for extraction???? I then removed the pan, filter, and tried to remove solenoid pack, but the solenoid pack does not want to come free, seems to be stuck in the part where it attaches to some kind of bore? If I remove the solenoid pack could I access the broken tip?????Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your reply, thats one thing I have not thought of. I still have no way of grabbing a hold of it to extract.

A self cutting screw will go into it without drilling a pilot hole.

18623[1].jpeg

545563ee-a846-4cc7-90fa-ee0dca22016b[1].jpg

That I have not, its a good idea but the problem is I do have any bored holed left down the center of the piston. I broke in the worst spot possible.

I will give it a try, I have exhausted all other efforts without removing exhaust/tranny altogether. Any more ideas please share them. Also, any ideas why I wouldn't be able to wiggle the solenoid pack free and off? Also, I was just locking up and my puddle lights (which I just changed to LED) and the interior lights were not going off after I locked it?.
Thanks!!!

The gasket might be preventing the solenoid block from being removed. It's possible that somebody might have used some sort of adhesive or maybe you missed one of the bolts. Did you check the fuses for the interior lights?

@Shtiv
Can you remove the valve body, consult appropriate diagrams to find the port which carries oil to the servo, apply air pressurte to that port, it might just push the piston out. imp

PS: If you cannot find info determining ports, post that. I can post images of which are for what.

I thought about suggesting compressed air, but he will need an air test plate, compressor, and a blow gun. Once the valve body & solenoid block are removed, the shaft should be easy to remove but there's a chance that the apply strut holding the band might come off. It might be better to leave the solenoid block & valve body alone since assembly will require a torque wrench, and new gaskets.

Some other thoughts that I had were to use a slap hammer with a stud gun, but where could you get a stud gun just for one job? There's limited access with the transmission in the vehicle, so there's no room to get a stud gun or a slap hammer in there. It might be possible to use a small slap hammer with a screw driven into the broken shaft.

I thought about suggesting compressed air, but he will need an air test plate, compressor, and a blow gun. Once the valve body & solenoid block are removed, the shaft should be easy to remove but there's a chance that the apply strut holding the band might come off. It might be better to leave the solenoid block & valve body alone since assembly will require a torque wrench, and new gaskets.

Some other thoughts that I had were to use a slap hammer with a stud gun, but where could you get a stud gun just for one job? There's limited access with the transmission in the vehicle, so there's no room to get a stud gun or a slap hammer in there. It might be possible to use a small slap hammer with a screw driven into the broken shaft.
I have the screws removed from solenoid pack, just cant get the solenoid pack out, it wont come free. Will get photos of the area of the solenoid pack that is catching in the morning. Wondering if anyone knows where I can find instructions on removing transmission? Thinking about picking one of these up and starting from scratch, http://www.ebay.com/itm/291705870463?item=291705870463&viewitem=&vxp=mtr. But feel like I would have to buy a lot of parts for this, and becoming expensive? Still hunting for more ideas on how to get current one working. Thanks for everything so far.

This is the part of the solenoid pack that seems stuck, everything this feels free. All screws are out, but this part is not working free?

Did you take out the bolt that holds in the connector on the outside of transmission?

Did you take out the bolt that holds in the connector on the outside of transmission?
Wasn't aware of bolt on outside of transmission, so probably not :). Could you possibly describe how or where to look for this bolt? Thanks

IMG_3072.JPG
Where the connector on the outside plugs into solenoid pack there is a bolt with a 7 or 8 mm head dead center in the plug.

View attachment 95314 Where the connector on the outside plugs into solenoid pack there is a bolt with a 7 or 8 mm head dead center in the plug.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! it was the connector. Is there any good free manuals online of how to remove the transmission? I might just do an overhaul since Im in here. This forum is awesome, thanks for the help again.

So I got the solenoid pack off, was hoping I was going to see more, any ideas how to access the OD bore that has the piston stuck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is where I'm at currently, still searching for what I believe is the OD bore with the piston stuck.

Back