Transmission slipping into neutral when stopped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission slipping into neutral when stopped

EdmondsXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonds, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 AWD
I posted in another thread about changing my transmission solenoid the other day and still having issues with slipping and flaring during shifts, particularly 2->3. Now I'm noticing the car frequently slipping into neutral when stopped at a red light or whatever. Sometimes I can feel it go in and out of gear a couple of times, so I never quite know where it'll be when the light turns green. This is obviously not good and not very safe. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

4.0 v6, 4x4, 197k miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I posted in another thread about changing my transmission solenoid the other day and still having issues with slipping and flaring during shifts, particularly 2->3. Now I'm noticing the car frequently slipping into neutral when stopped at a red light or whatever. Sometimes I can feel it go in and out of gear a couple of times, so I never quite know where it'll be when the light turns green. This is obviously not good and not very safe. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

4.0 v6, 4x4, 197k miles
Low on hydraulic fluid or intermittent electrical connection, possibly at transmission/harness connector.

It’s not “slipping into neutral” it’s slipping in the gear it’s in, most likely first. This is usually time for a rebuild.

It’s not “slipping into neutral” it’s slipping in the gear it’s in, most likely first. This is usually time for a rebuild.
True enough, but slippage when delivering power would be pronounced, and that wasn't mentioned. At idle, line pressure can drop especially in well-worn units, and become noticeable.

Low on hydraulic fluid or intermittent electrical connection, possibly at transmission/harness connector.
I checked the trans fluid just now. I turned the car on and let it run for 15 minutes or so to get up to temp then removed the small fill plug and warm fluid came dripping out, which would seem to indicate a bit too much fluid, right? Following this video from FordTechMakuloco:

I pumped back in the fluid that drained out plus a little extra.

Also I scanned the car again and the same P0745 code from before popped up again.

Back