• Register Today It's free!

Transmission slipping

gamegodessss

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 4x4
I have a 1992 ford explorer 4wd. Trans is good until you let off the gas then it slips for a few seconds and catches again. Its almost like it is slow engaging once it slips. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I already did a complete fluid change using the advice in one of your threads. This is the second fluid and filter change and it didnt help. This is an automatic transmission btw.

Have you tried re-adjusting the bands? It is not hard to do and doesn't take too long. Requires a torque wrench.

No I havent. How do i go about doing that? I have a 1/4 inch torch wrench.

Pretty simple. On one side of the trans there are two studs with square heads poking out. They have locknuts at their base. Loosen the locknuts and you'll run the studs in with a torque wrench to the required amount. Then mark them and back them out exactly however many turns is specified. Then hold the stud in place while you tighten down the locknut.

The only thing you should have to remove to access the studs is popping off the kickdown and shift cables - they just pop on and off. The only challenge is finding a socket for the square stud heads. I sacrificed a cheap 10mm taiwanese socket.

Specs on how much to torque the studs and how many turns out may vary from year to year so do a search on this site for band adjustment procedure. On my 1994s it is 10ft/lbs in, then two full turns out.

Your torque wrench is probably accurate enough if it's 1/4" drive but check. A wheel lug torque wrench may not be accurate if it starts out at 10ft/lbs but if your scale is in in/lbs it's likely fine.

EDIT--- Do a search on here for Transmission Band Adjustment Specifications for more info, and pictures!

Back