Trasmission Band Adjustment Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trasmission Band Adjustment Question

joefnh

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Callsign
KA1DGB
2003 Explorer 4x4 4.0L XLT with Automatic Transmission

I am getting ready to adjust the bands on my explorer and have a couple of questions

1.) What temperature should the transmission be at when adjusting the bands

2.) When adjusting the bands, I have found that the locking nut can be somewhat frozen to the adjustment stud, making it impossible to get a good reading on the torque wrench.

Would it be OK to remove the stud and nut fully from the transmission so that I could clean up the threads to free up the nut?

Would this cause any problems?

Thanks in advance

--Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do NOT remove the stud from the transmission. If you do, the band retainers will fall out causing it to be torn down to put them back.

Run the old locking nut up and down the stud a couple times from with some oil, and that should help out the threads some. Also a wire brush of some sort if you can get it up there.

Just remember that you must replace the locking nut when adjusting the bands, it has a seal attached to it. They can obtained from Ford.

Temperature doesn't really matter, just don't do it while it's real hot and burn yourself on something.

WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com sells replacement locking nuts with a seal. The seal is pressed into a groove in the nut. You could use an O ring if you want to reuse the nut. The nuts are not expensive if you choose to replace them. You have 2 studs & 2 nuts located on the driver's side of the transmission.

OK so I will pick up some nuts locally, As I work the nut up and down the threads, if the stud backs out some, when would it cause the retainers to fall.
I have done this about 10 years ago and while trying to free up the nut, the stud can inadvertently back out some.

--Joe

Back