SR55S Band Adjustment Questions, Pre-Servo Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SR55S Band Adjustment Questions, Pre-Servo Install

Sirdoogz

Reaction score
City, State
Newington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie B. 4.6L
Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. This is my first post, so please forgive me if I I did it wrong.

I just ordered the servo bore kit from Superior Solutions for my 5R55S in my '03 V8 4X4 Explorer, which will be here in a couple days. Per the reps there, I am performing a band adjustment first to make sure they're intact. The issue is that the adjusters are pretty rusty, making it very difficult to back the lock nut off enough to turn the adjuster in. I've hit them with some PB blaster and also wire brushed the threads the best I can with them on the tranny, but my questions are:

Q1) Can I take these out (without dropping the pan) to clean up the threads properly, or will something fall out of place if I back the adjusters out too much?

Q2) If answer to Q1 is "no", approximately how far can I back them out before I'm in trouble?

I plan on dropping the pan and changing the filter after I install the new servos as well.

If anyone can help me here, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Back